Front Panel / Enclosure Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey everyone,
I have been busy finishing off my amplifier (Studio 350 from SC) and I have it mounted it in a 2U rack case ($70 from Jaycar)
But I need some help as to how I could create my own pattern and have it silkscreened / transferred onto the front panel.

Do any Aussie's know of a company / agency capable of doing this?

Thanks alot

tumler said:
Hey everyone,
I have been busy finishing off my amplifier (Studio 350 from SC) and I have it mounted it in a 2U rack case ($70 from Jaycar)
But I need some help as to how I could create my own pattern and have it silkscreened / transferred onto the front panel.

Do any Aussie's know of a company / agency capable of doing this?

Thanks alot

Hi Tumler.
Another way of creating your front panel is to have it engraved. I am assuming that the Jaycar 2U case is the Aluminium front type.

To do the engraving, you will need to sketch up the front panel layout, and give to to someone that is an AutoCAD user to create an electonic file / drawing.
Take this file and the front panel to any engraver that does computer engraving, and the job is done, and it will look fantastic.

Provided that the layout is not to complex (how complex can a PA front panel be!!), it should not take a CAD opperator any more than an hour to produce.

This may sound complex, but it is actually very simple and cost effective.

If you run into any problems, give me a shout and I will help you with the CAD Layout.

Regards,
George.

I second the engraving advice. Around here it's generally trophy shops that provide that service. Rates are quite reasonable. They'll stock premade self-adhesive brass labels, which would be easier for them to engrave. You could then stick those to your panel, or fasten them down with stainless socket-head cap screws.

Let them engrave the front panel freehand, some nice flowing script would give it some class. This will be dirt cheap but they might make a mess of it.

If you want the printed label you can get Lexan stickers made up, There is a company in Perth who also manufacture PCBs who do it. Expect about $200 to $300 for a one off.
Silk screening will be similar price, I used to do silk screened panels and it was a real hassle making new screens up. You would be better off getting a signwriter or artist to do it freehand.

Another option is to get some cut vinyl stickers made, dirt cheap but not very durable.

Reverse engraved perspex can look very good, you engrave in the back in mirror image and fill the engraving with paint, quickly wipe the excess paint off. you end up with a smooth front panel with 3d text. Looks really good if you can glue it on without any bubbles but you can just use a few domed cap screws. This allows some pretty funky lighting from behind the knobs.

Re: Re: Front Panel / Enclosure Help

GeeVee said:
Hi Tumler.
Another way of creating your front panel is to have it engraved. I am assuming that the Jaycar 2U case is the Aluminium front type.

If you run into any problems, give me a shout and I will help you with the CAD Layout.

Regards,
George.

That actually is a really good idea, and yes it is the 3mm aluminium front type.

I will try and draw up a front panel and thanks for the offering, if I do need any help I will ask.

OzMikeH said:
Reverse engraved perspex can look very good, you engrave in the back in mirror image and fill the engraving with paint, quickly wipe the excess paint off. you end up with a smooth front panel with 3d text. Looks really good if you can glue it on without any bubbles but you can just use a few domed cap screws. This allows some pretty funky lighting from behind the knobs.

That sounds quite interesting. Though I won't use it for this project I will keep it in mind for my others.

Thanks for all the replies, they were really helpful
And David thats one nice Aleph30 amp you built.

I will try and get my frontpanel engraved.
But do you know how deep the engravings should be?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.