Front Panel / Enclosure Help - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th July 2007, 05:52 PM   #1
tumler is offline tumler  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Front Panel / Enclosure Help

Hey everyone,
I have been busy finishing off my amplifier (Studio 350 from SC) and I have it mounted it in a 2U rack case ($70 from Jaycar)
But I need some help as to how I could create my own pattern and have it silkscreened / transferred onto the front panel.

Do any Aussie's know of a company / agency capable of doing this?

Thanks alot
Old 30th July 2007, 03:39 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to JuanLady
I once made front panels for some friends,it's a pity you are in USA.:-)All silklined.
Old 31st July 2007, 01:10 PM   #3
GeeVee is offline GeeVee  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Front Panel / Enclosure Help

Quote:
Originally posted by tumler
Hey everyone,
I have been busy finishing off my amplifier (Studio 350 from SC) and I have it mounted it in a 2U rack case ($70 from Jaycar)
But I need some help as to how I could create my own pattern and have it silkscreened / transferred onto the front panel.

Do any Aussie's know of a company / agency capable of doing this?

Thanks alot
Hi Tumler.
Another way of creating your front panel is to have it engraved. I am assuming that the Jaycar 2U case is the Aluminium front type.

To do the engraving, you will need to sketch up the front panel layout, and give to to someone that is an AutoCAD user to create an electonic file / drawing.
Take this file and the front panel to any engraver that does computer engraving, and the job is done, and it will look fantastic.

Provided that the layout is not to complex (how complex can a PA front panel be!!), it should not take a CAD opperator any more than an hour to produce.

This may sound complex, but it is actually very simple and cost effective.

If you run into any problems, give me a shout and I will help you with the CAD Layout.

Regards,
George.
Old 31st July 2007, 01:49 PM   #4
sam9 is offline sam9  United States
diyAudio Member

try
www.frontpanelexpress.com

or www.schaeffer-0ag.de
Old 31st July 2007, 01:50 PM   #5
sam9 is offline sam9  United States
diyAudio Member

I mean

www.schaeffer-ag.de

sorry
Old 4th August 2007, 02:02 AM   #6
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

I second the engraving advice. Around here it's generally trophy shops that provide that service. Rates are quite reasonable. They'll stock premade self-adhesive brass labels, which would be easier for them to engrave. You could then stick those to your panel, or fasten them down with stainless socket-head cap screws.
Old 4th August 2007, 03:08 AM   #7
OzMikeH is offline OzMikeH  Australia
diyAudio Member

Let them engrave the front panel freehand, some nice flowing script would give it some class. This will be dirt cheap but they might make a mess of it.

If you want the printed label you can get Lexan stickers made up, There is a company in Perth who also manufacture PCBs who do it. Expect about $200 to $300 for a one off.
Silk screening will be similar price, I used to do silk screened panels and it was a real hassle making new screens up. You would be better off getting a signwriter or artist to do it freehand.

Another option is to get some cut vinyl stickers made, dirt cheap but not very durable.

Reverse engraved perspex can look very good, you engrave in the back in mirror image and fill the engraving with paint, quickly wipe the excess paint off. you end up with a smooth front panel with 3d text. Looks really good if you can glue it on without any bubbles but you can just use a few domed cap screws. This allows some pretty funky lighting from behind the knobs.
Old 6th August 2007, 05:01 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Here's a thread with my Aleph30. The chassis sheetmetal was fabricated through FrontPanel Express.

My 1st Aleph Amp

It turned out really well.

-David
Old 7th August 2007, 08:41 AM   #9
tumler is offline tumler  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Front Panel / Enclosure Help

Quote:
Originally posted by GeeVee
Hi Tumler.
Another way of creating your front panel is to have it engraved. I am assuming that the Jaycar 2U case is the Aluminium front type.

If you run into any problems, give me a shout and I will help you with the CAD Layout.

Regards,
George.
That actually is a really good idea, and yes it is the 3mm aluminium front type.

I will try and draw up a front panel and thanks for the offering, if I do need any help I will ask.

Quote:
Originally posted by OzMikeH
Reverse engraved perspex can look very good, you engrave in the back in mirror image and fill the engraving with paint, quickly wipe the excess paint off. you end up with a smooth front panel with 3d text. Looks really good if you can glue it on without any bubbles but you can just use a few domed cap screws. This allows some pretty funky lighting from behind the knobs.
That sounds quite interesting. Though I won't use it for this project I will keep it in mind for my others.

Thanks for all the replies, they were really helpful
And David thats one nice Aleph30 amp you built.

I will try and get my frontpanel engraved.
But do you know how deep the engravings should be?

Hide this!Advertise here!