Burr Brown OPA227 and OPA134, audible difference?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Don't ask subjective questions, and you won't get inflated subjective answers.

You need to try it out for yourself, and decide for yourself.
The 227 is used in a great many diy projects, so if what "whats-his-name" said above were true, he has magic ears that the rest of the diy community does not.

His blanket statement is bloated, and awful.

And neither of you included what circuit(s) said chips were being used for.

=RR=

in a Iout DAC I/V circuit there is an engineering case for preferring a fet input op amp

fet inputs can accept the fast steps and "glitch" energy of the DAC output with less input stage distortion compared to a similar GBW op amp with a hi gm bipolar input

but circuit topolgy can make a difference too - put a discrete or CFA buffer in the I/V loop on the output of the op amp to give low impedance at high frequencies and the feedback cap implementing the 1st pole of the reconstruction filter then "soaks up" some of the DAC's switching/glitch energy at frequencies where a single "audio" op amp's output impedance is high

the 227 has lower Vnoise and could be better in analog preamp stages where the signal doesn't have the high frequency steps of the DAC output

in spite of the above reasoning many DAC data sheet reference circuits use the bjt input 5534 in the I/V circuit with excellent measured performance #, so its the hardly the case that differences have to be "obvious" to the ear either

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.