Help with LGA (Land Grid Array) ICs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've managed to get my hands on some tri-axis, solid-state accelerometers - the problem is I have no way to easily mount and use them!

They are a strange format (LGA-8) - 5mm x 5mm with 8 pads (3 pads on each of two opposing sides and 1 pad on each of the other two sides).

I've tried searching online, but can't seem to find any socket to convert them to DIP-8.

Does anyone know where I could get such a socket?

Alternatively could anyone etch a small DIP-8 board and mount these chips for me (with compensation for materials, time and labour, naturally ;) )?

darw82 said:
radtech,
In case u don't know, there is a lot of variation in BGA chip with 8 ball or more ball.

By the way, the one you mention is not a BGA, its a OFN
package. Have a look at SST12LP15 datasheet for example.

I never said it was a BGA, he wasn't asking about BGA, he asked about LGA, which is not BGA, nor is it OFN.

I may have been wrong on my description though, after further research I believe that it's something like the layout shown just under the text LIS3LO2AL here:

http://www.st.com/stonline/products/families/sensors/boards/ev_kit/layout_3l02al_1.0.pdf

Just trying to be helpful, I'll shutup now.

...clarification

Hi all,

Firstly thanks for the input so far.

radtech has the right idea - although my explanation of the chip was concise, it may have been confusing if English is not your first language. My appologies :)

The part number of the chips is LIS3L06AL - that link is to the datasheet (which includes a pad schematic - Fig. 2 & 20).

I hope this clarifies the question slightly.

I'm looking forward to trying these things out ;)

Radtech,
I'm really sorry for what I said.
Please accept my apologize.

This is a easy one to convert. Just etch the mirror-ed gerber file in a single layer PCB .
The chip placed in the top layer of PCB.
1. There is a red dot in the PCB file, drill it with 0.5mm drill. or if
you don't want to drill it, you can remove the solder ball at the
chip with solder iron.
2. Apply solder paste to the PCB pads.
3. Put and align the chip.
4. Solder the PCB track (as close as possible to the chip pin), so
the solder paste will also melt.

Actually with this IC, you don't need a converter, as this is a simple one.

Attachments

• pcb2.zip
    2.6 KB · Views: 25
I've saw many college student project, which some of it has a complex PCB with 128-pin / more QFP chip. The PCB board only some times costs as much as USD$100 or even more.

With a good eye and tweezer, solder paste, cheap unetched PCB board, you can do it as low as $2.

Have you ever do a 8-layer planar transformer?
I have, with 0.5mm acrylic sheet as an insulator, and as the conductor etch a PCB trace, then gentle pull it out from PCB, stick it to the acrylic, for connecting the multiple layer, use resistor pin.

You see, there is almost no limitation, unless you are using really really really complex circuit, Just use your imagination.

My only problem is my lack of etching equipment and PCB drill (also I don't want to ruin the chips through lack of tools/experience).

Hence asking if there was a simple DIP8 converter that could be used - something I can just drop the chip in and "play" with it in a breadboard.

annex666 said:
My only problem is my lack of etching equipment and PCB drill (also I don't want to ruin the chips through lack of tools/experience).

There is no such converter. If you have not try it. Try it, you will know how easy to build a complex PCB, the only drawback is, it take a lot of time. But for this converter, it will take only 5 minutes to finish. It's worth to try

I can do it for you, for free, but shipping cost to your country is expensive.

Anyway, if you have never build a PCB before, you may want to read this --> http://www.qsl.net/k5lxp/projects/PCBFab/PCBFab.html

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.