how is the quality of a chip-based volume control VS normal stepped attenuator?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

it depends what You understand under ´Quality´ :rolleyes:
Sonically I ´m still wondering why suddenly silicone R´s as used in a PGA should be good, when otherwise No one uses these when it comes to building with discrete part?
And than are there OP-gainstages when You don´t need them. Why should that be any good for sonics? TI claims they use ´high performance OPs´ but looking at their Datasheet there isn´t much that could be rated high performance after nowadays SOTA.
Physically the PGA maybe the better part. Its smaller, less part count, less soldering, etc.
With regard to costs the PGA is better too. You´s have to invest in quite many first class relays to get a similar number of volume steps with a discrete switched attenuator.

I personally still stick to good Rs and good Relays..and to good sound ;)

jauu
Calvin

Calvin said:
Sonically I ´m still wondering why suddenly silicone R´s as used in a PGA should be good, when otherwise No one uses these when it comes to building with discrete part?
And than are there OP-gainstages when You don´t need them. Why should that be any good for sonics? TI claims they use ´high performance OPs´ but looking at their Datasheet there isn´t much that could be rated high performance after nowadays SOTA.

This is my thinking too. But...... in practice a PGA 2310 can sound surprisingly close to SOTA when used with good regs; dynamics and transparency are particular stand-outs.
It probably is due to short path and lack of physical switch contacts. With steppers the switch matters as much as the resistors...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.