is it okay to use an X1/X2 film cap in this circuit...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You should use an X1 or X2 rated cap for this circuit. BTW, this is from Elektor. I have used this successfully for years in an amp. If you are interested I have a PCB for this which also incorporates a remote power on circuit (you can use any switch to power on). Let me know if you want more info.

smithy666 said:
You should use an X1 or X2 rated cap for this circuit. BTW, this is from Elektor. I have used this successfully for years in an amp. If you are interested I have a PCB for this which also incorporates a remote power on circuit (you can use any switch to power on). Let me know if you want more info.

quite interested. send me a mail.

Thank you :)

The impedance of the cap is determined by 1/(2*pi*f*c), where pi=3.141, f=50Hz and c=capacitance in farads (you need to divide the 0.33uf by 1000000). For 0.33uF, this produces an impedance of about 9.6k. Calculate the current drawn by the relay coil (24v coil divided by whatever the coil resistance is), then use ohms law to calculate the voltage drop across the cap. By changing the value of the cap it changes the impedance and hence changes the voltage drop for a given current.

smithy666 said:
The impedance of the cap is determined by 1/(2*pi*f*c), where pi=3.141, f=50Hz and c=capacitance in farads (you need to divide the 0.33uf by 1000000). For 0.33uF, this produces an impedance of about 9.6k. Calculate the current drawn by the relay coil (24v coil divided by whatever the coil resistance is), then use ohms law to calculate the voltage drop across the cap. By changing the value of the cap it changes the impedance and hence changes the voltage drop for a given current.

I assume the 9.6K value is then paralleled to the 2x 470K to get the final resistance equivalent?

why not just use resistance to drop the voltage?

thanks again

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.