illuminated toggle switch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I use an Elpac WRI4212-760 12 VDC power supply for my reboxed Sonic Impact T-amp.
You can find all the specs here:

http://www.elpac.com/products/commercial/legacy/documents/wri.pdf

I decided to add a power switch to the amp. I connected it like in this diagram

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1210109&stamp=1179145301

This is the switch I used:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I connected the two power wires to ACC and power on the switch and left ground blank.
It works well as long as I don't connect ground, but that way, it doesn't light up. So I connected ground to the ground from my power supply (the ring of the 5 pin DIN plug, also tied to the metal enclosure). As long as the switch is on, it lights up and everything is normal. But when I turn the switch off, the light goes off (expected) and my power supply starts making a fast "switching" noise. Don't know how to describe it. It's almost the same sound it briefly makes when it's switched on, but it keeps on doing it as if it's not happy.
The exact same happens, when I connect the ground from the switch to COM on my power supply.

I could just use the switch without the illumination, but I want to know what's going on.

Thanks
-

this would work well in a car , and boats, and any type of craft that uses a 12 volt(a car battery) i tryed a toogle switch just like that that was a rocker illuminated for 12 volt, i was building a hearing augmentation device that ran on a 9 volt battery or a 9 volt ac adapter and the light didnt light up, it worked just fine but did not illuminate, i guess it needs all 12 volts

Well, without a schematic of that little amp board we can only gues as to what, exactly, it is doing. What would probably be your best bet is to simply tie the power switch wires to the amp board and switch the power input. That way the light in your switch is directly across the powersupply and not drawing power through anything on that board.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.