illuminated toggle switch - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th June 2007, 02:51 AM   #1
schumpe is offline schumpe  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default illuminated toggle switch

Hello, I use an Elpac WRI4212-760 12 VDC power supply for my reboxed Sonic Impact T-amp.
You can find all the specs here:

http://www.elpac.com/products/commer...uments/wri.pdf

I decided to add a power switch to the amp. I connected it like in this diagram

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...amp=1179145301

This is the switch I used:

Click the image to open in full size.

I connected the two power wires to ACC and power on the switch and left ground blank.
It works well as long as I don't connect ground, but that way, it doesn't light up. So I connected ground to the ground from my power supply (the ring of the 5 pin DIN plug, also tied to the metal enclosure). As long as the switch is on, it lights up and everything is normal. But when I turn the switch off, the light goes off (expected) and my power supply starts making a fast "switching" noise. Don't know how to describe it. It's almost the same sound it briefly makes when it's switched on, but it keeps on doing it as if it's not happy.
The exact same happens, when I connect the ground from the switch to COM on my power supply.

I could just use the switch without the illumination, but I want to know what's going on.

Thanks
-
Old 1st July 2007, 01:09 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

this would work well in a car , and boats, and any type of craft that uses a 12 volt(a car battery) i tryed a toogle switch just like that that was a rocker illuminated for 12 volt, i was building a hearing augmentation device that ran on a 9 volt battery or a 9 volt ac adapter and the light didnt light up, it worked just fine but did not illuminate, i guess it needs all 12 volts
Old 1st July 2007, 03:13 PM   #3
paulb is offline paulb  Canada
diyAudio Member

My guess is that you have 2 wires reversed. The switch might be such that it shorts its output to ground when switched off. Could you have wired the power supply output to the switch output, and the amp input to the switch input by mistake?
Old 2nd July 2007, 08:17 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

paul b who are you asking the questions too?
Old 3rd July 2007, 01:11 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

thanks for your comments guys.
xlr81999, he's asking me ;-)
paulb, i think you might be on to something here.
i should've thought of this, seems like an easy logical solution. i'll try it out when i have a chance.
-
Old 3rd July 2007, 02:25 PM   #6
TJNII is offline TJNII  United States
diyAudio Member

Well, without a schematic of that little amp board we can only gues as to what, exactly, it is doing. What would probably be your best bet is to simply tie the power switch wires to the amp board and switch the power input. That way the light in your switch is directly across the powersupply and not drawing power through anything on that board.
Old 3rd July 2007, 05:33 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Everything works as it should now. I had the wires reversed. It's hard to tell which is which from that connector. Wiring it to the supply lines directly would've been another option.
Next time I'll try to use my brain first before asking
Thanks.

Hide this!Advertise here!