to those living in australia: has anyone use powertran transformers from altronics?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was looking at RS and Farnell and it seems they don't have what I want. I was initially looking at the Nuvotem/Talema transformers.

I am interested to know people's opinion in regards to Powertran toroidal transformers.

Are they noisy? Would you recommend powertran transformers for audio use?

Thank you very much

transformers

Hi
I have used jaycar transformers with a self bult regulated power supply for filament voltages based on the lm338k. I have no problems with them at all.
If you want high volatge stuff you can try tortech in sydney. I had a 300-0-300 250mA transformer with 5V at 4A and 6.3V@6A wound with faraday sheild for 260 dollars... good workmanship although the specs where a tad on high side. Where i live we get 253Vat power point not 240V so i got 5,9V and 6.9V (and 325-0-325) so i would buy from them again but i would kind of specify voltages a bit less than i actually want.
Let me know if i can help
Nick

Try Harbuch as they make Antrim beauties at around the same price.... IMO, the best on Oz.
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/harbuch/harbuch.htm

Most of the Altronics toroidals I've used have been fine but I have had 1 noisy unit as well as one that fried and took out 2 power amps in the process but the pre it was in survived.

I've had no problems with the Jaycar or WES ones personally, but a customer did have primary leads (very small diameter BTW) that detached from the core.

Attachments

• cooked transformer.jpg
    cooked transformer.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 190
Hi Nick

Well, it has been a long time. How's it hanging? I'm still playing in this game but slowing down due to age and other factors plus I can't fit any more speakers in here.

I remember the speakers and there was heaps of revisions after than and now live at my BIL's as an MTM. I do have a bookshelf using the same woofer and similar tweeter but with a very different crossover.... worked out very well and am extremely fond of it.... I can't let the drivers go.

These are the lastest mains.
http://www.rzaudio.com/rz52/rzss.htm

Ive had one powertran in an SKA amp which buzzes . Its noticeable when you stand a couple of feet away. Doesnt make any difference to the sound that I can tell

I buy from Harbusch now and prices are similar if not a bit lower.
If you speak to Harbusch they know their stuff and are willing to customise you transformer so the output V is just what you want. Theyll deliver by courier.

rabbitz said:
Try Harbuch as they make Antrim beauties at around the same price.... IMO, the best on Oz.
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/harbuch/harbuch.htm
sandro600 said:
I buy from Harbusch now and prices are similar if not a bit lower.
If you speak to Harbusch they know their stuff and are willing to customise you transformer so the output V is just what you want. They'll deliver by courier.

I'll add my recommend for Harbuch as well. Peter Buchtmann is very helpful. And they will wind specials if you want. Otherwise the standard Antrim range is competitive on pricing with those in Jaycar/Altronics/DSE.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.