customer toriod: where can I have mine winded?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AND my apologies if I appear a bit narky. You sound like a good sort. Keep us appraised of the progress of your amp.

Maybe start a thread in the Pass, Solid State or tube amp forum (I don't know what type you're doing... sorry).

PS Grey (Rollins) has a lot of knowledge, as do some others on this site - way more that I'll ever know. If you're doing a PAss amp, then even Nelson Pass might chip in...

jarthel said:
40VAC on their 600VA transformer range.

I agree with Andrew. With such low voltages get any transformer with the desired power rating and a working primary. Test how many windings per volt you need (not many: 3-4) and wind you own secondary using appropriately thick wire. If it's a single low voltage secondary the wire will be very thick.

This is what i often do for heater transformers: use a surplus toroid and put all the heater widings on top of the existing secondary - a fast and cheap way to get 2.5v centretapped per example.

Not sure of the exact regs here, but I'm pretty sure that if it's mains connected, then it also needs to be fused. If it continues to work, then you're OK, but if iut fails and it's not fused then you can be up for some pretty hefty costs.

Not an area I'd recommend going into...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.