Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd June 2007, 05:26 PM   #1
Thomo is offline Thomo  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Enough demand to sell Silmic Caps to the DIY community?

Hi everyone.

I have been using this forum for about a year now, having been bitten by the diy bug.

However I have not failed to notice the price of the Elna Silmic/Cerafine caps. I am thinking of buying in stock of the most popular values with a view to supplying at low prices to fellow diy'ers. I just want to supply the caps people want at prices they can afford, whilst making a little extra for the effort.

I realise that this means large quantities, and really need to find out if there's enough demand? And also what values would anyone recommend me to stock?

Any help and advice will be very much appreciated.

Regards, Lee.
Old 23rd June 2007, 05:43 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Jan Dupont
I appreciate your initiative very much
However defining the the most attractive values can be difficult, as many of us move to a new project, when finished the first....

Take a look around the different schematics at this forum, and set up a list of the most used

Best of luck !!
Old 23rd June 2007, 05:57 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

It's a great idea. I'd be interested, especially if you'd accept postal orders or even cash. I get lectured every month on my Paypal bills!!!! Postal orders get around this ( her) problem

I agree that it would be difficult to have the right parts in stock. Ideally you would be able to buy a large range and replenish the most popular as they go first. This would give you valuable information as to what is needed most but I guess it requires a large initial outlay. They'd all go eventually but ........

Larger power supply caps are always in demand.
10,000 , 12,000 , 15,000 ,maybe?
Are these available as Silmics?

Just a thought,
Regards,
Martin
Old 23rd June 2007, 06:13 PM   #4
Thomo is offline Thomo  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your replies.

Unfortunately standard Silmics seem to be limited to 1000uF 50v, 2200uf 16v. Not a great range as standard, but they can be made to order in large size for supply smoothing etc.

I expect that would be very expensive and definitely only large quantity. I will look into it however as one person I know has used 22,000uF 56v Silmics.

I think I'll do as suggested and have a look through the forum for schematics and values etc.

Any other suggestions always welcome.

Regards, Lee.
Old 23rd June 2007, 06:26 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Jan Dupont
Good quality large caps are almost always easy to get....
Look at the smaller values for solid state and tube pre- and power amps and filter caps

Hide this!Advertise here!