Possible replacement for Buz901P and Buz905/6P

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Guys, I'm trying to find a potential replacement for an Aussie Amp I destroyed. I can get the replacement mosfets through the designer, but at a steep price. I'm going to simply by a new board and parts from him, because the level of destruction makes this not the best long time reliable option. However, I hate to throw away so much money, so I was thinking about buying new parts for less and experimenting a little. I was wondering if any mosfet with similar specs would be ok. For instance, the IRFP240 is rated at 200V, 20A, and 150 watts dissipation. Now this is considerably higher than the rating of whats in it, so it seems like it would be as good or better. The Buzz901P is rated at 200 volts, 8 amps, and 125 watts dissipation. What other figures should I be looking for to ensure compatibility. I was also wondering if I would need to possibly change a few resistor values to ensure stability. I'm hoping to not have to mess with that aspect too much.

The other option I thought about would be the Hitachi lateral mosfet 2SJ162/2SK1058. This also looks like a good choice, and is relativly affordable. It's rated at 100 watts power dissipation, 8 amps, and 160 volts.

Hexfets like the IRFP240 have completely different characteristics than the lateral BUZ parts... They are not interchangable without major redesign of the amplifiers biasing scheme. The Hitachis though are the right kind of parts but they might not be powerful enough. How many pairs does the amp have and what is the rail voltage?

I think you will have more relies if you ask the thread to be moved to Solid State, it is a solid state amp after all...

Hi Matt

the Hitachi lateral is a good device and will work well in the NX150
the rail voltage is 63 volts, so the 2SK1058 and its mate will work just fine in the amplifier.

As a help I have some 2SK1058 devices in my workshop I think
If I can find them I will send a couple to you when I ship your new NX150 module to you, not sure about the 2SJ device though
but I will have a look and see what I can find.

Thanks to everyone for posting, and Thanks Anthony. I hate to spend all that money and just toss the board, so I figured if I could at least affordably make a working amp out of it, why not. I can get a hold of some of the Hitachi's in "lot" form, so I think 10 or 20 of each. I don't need that many obviously, but could always sell the extra's. I figure I will put that amp on my back bench as a side project and collect the parts I need a bit slowly. A lot of its values are pretty standerd and I will need them for other projects. Could also be an excuse to test different parts, use that board as a test bed before taking apart my main amps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.