Hall effect switch / potentiometer - Good for audio? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th June 2007, 05:24 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Hall effect switch / potentiometer - Good for audio?

I just noticed an interesting new illuminated pot / gadget and was wondering if anyone has experience with Hall Effect switches with this type of pot as applied to audio ... ( http://www.electromechcomp.com/produ...=16&ITEM_ID=35 )

Any reports at all re: quality, noise or any upside or down side ... ??
Old 6th June 2007, 06:39 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

At first I thought the small, illuminated knob and the push/turn functionality meant it was for car audio which means it's cheap junk and not suitable for "real" audio. Then I saw that the data sheets says it's for avionics. That means its expensive enough to be good for "real" audio. Might be worth a try...

I_F
Old 6th June 2007, 07:25 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

aside: " ... Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments ..." So, what kind of music do you listen to?

I_Forgot: I plan on getting several to try out ... ~ US$40 each for samples, but, hey, those blinky, blinky lights always make for great cocktail party talk when showing off your latest DIY amp ...
Old 7th June 2007, 05:23 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I'm a Tom Waits/Morphine/Fleetwood mac (before Stevie Nicks- ugh!) kind of guy. Blues, especially slide guitar, pitches my tent.

I_F
Old 7th June 2007, 04:09 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

" ... Fleetwood mac (before Stevie Nicks- ugh!) ..." Buckingham didn't do them much good, either, except as a pretty face front + reasonable guitar.

Christy McVee is without a doubt the most original female song writer (with possible exception of Cyndi Lauper [!?!]) ... good 'Mac = overshadowed by the newbees. Kiln House is one of my favotites. The big disappointment is not finding any 'Mac albums on 24bit DVD-A (except that recent, terrible live DVD video made in Boston, another Nicks throwaway).

Blues & Slide: Check out Roy Rogers, he has a local radio show every Sunday = "Roots of Blues / Under the Influence" ( http://www.roy-rogers.com/radioshow.php >> http://www.krsh.com )

Hide this!Advertise here!