Jensen PIO capacitor burn in

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"So is this a coupling cap i'm not sure but I think it is?"

yes it's a also coupling caps. but high voltage application, probably you can use metalized caps and no problem breaking in. The main worry is with low voltage (1-2 volts).

Btw, nice looking amps !!

Hartono.

I'm not sure if I agree with your statement.

If you over volt it, probably a second or two. :D

If you're talking about normal use, any capacitor polarizes within a few seconds. "Burn in" is just some audiophool myth, if not an outright marketing scam. If the latter, "burn in" lasts just as long as it takes to convince yourself that some uber-expensive thingamabob you bought actually makes a difference in how something sounds.

I know it might be an old statement but I want to add my two cents. So bare with me.
'It's not meant to be rude so take a deep breath'

About your "Burn In" Statement, You say it's an "AudioPhool" Myth.
Where is your Proof that Burn in is in fact a Myth?

For Example,
A home theater Speaker should have a "Burn in" time playing white noise on it for several hours before you drive it hard. When I sold Klipsch we would tell our customers to play them for min of 30 day's at low vol. to allow break in. And adding, Don't play them hard and loud during this time.
Why can't a Cap?
A motor Cycle has a "Ride Easy" time before you ride it like a raped ape. Granted I wouldn't really want to rap an ape. but I've had my fare share of raping the heal out of a crotch rocket! ( I Miss those days!)
When you get new breaks you need to go easy on them for about 1K miles, Which is why the mechanic tells you, Don't stomp on your breaks for about 1000 miles.

Many Items in the world require a break in/Burn in time before you hear/see the difference.

I don't think this is a Myth or even the wool pulled over your head and inserted in sand while you drink this cup of "Myth."

I like what Conrad Hoffman had to say about it, Let me quote him if I may,
I don't even know what a PIO is, and don't believe in burn-in for most things, but here are some facts. If you put a microamp meter on an electrolytic cap, you'll see high leakage when it's first powered up. The leakage will go down over minutes and hours, and might not reach it's ultimate low level for days or even longer. Audible? I can't say, but change, albeit small, is occurring.

Ceramic caps, especially with high dielectric constants, are subject to aging and poling effects, not to mention temperature. Hopefully you don't use them in the signal path, but they too will change over time.

He says, When Viewing Electrolytic Capacitor on a MicroAmp you can visually watch this change. :D

Conrad Goes on to say,
If you look on a fine enough scale, nothing is perfectly stable and changes tend to happen fastest when a part is first put into service. For sanity's sake however, one needs to grasp that below a certain level, these things really are inaudible. As implied above, it's way too easy to fool yourself into hearing or not hearing the nonexistent.

My thoughts on Conrads ending statement "It's way too easy to fool yourself into hearing or not hearing the nonexistent"
This is true in some cases… However, Many People who have brought there ear up from adolescence to an Audiophile Grade, "Tuned their Ear" can hear these minute "Mahy-noot" changes that most others aren't about to hear without the help from someone who is able to hear such.

I would like to know if anyone has put this to a Test?
Take 4 Jensen Capacitor of exactly the same characteristics on every level and put TWO in the Audio Path, for Stereo L/R. Play it for as long as needed to achieve the Allotted Burn In Time 200-300Hours.
After this time, continue playing this same setup for another couple of months lettings your Ear Understand all your now hearing.

Take the Second JENSEN Set, Remember the second set is exactly the same as the first. Play these for the "Few Seconds or a few hours" which ever Miles Power has said, and then Sit back and you tell me if you notice any difference…

Put it to the test for yourself.
:wave:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.