Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Groundside Electrons
Groundside Electrons
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th August 2015, 09:45 PM   #531
BudP is offline BudP  United States
diyAudio Member

Groundside Electrons
Quote:
The pigtails may have been too much of a good thing.
Yup.

At least too much in that spot. You might place the pigtails, I am assuming they are ground control types made from a short length of many many fine wires bundled in a cable, at the amp out put ground plug. Or on an unused input ground for the amplifier. If the unusual harshness returns then the speaker to frame is likely all your system can stand.

I have discovered, much to my surprise, that placing line level isolation / audio grade transformers between preamp and amp allows for more ground control loops to be added to the system. I suppose this makes as much sense as the rest of the this stuff......
Old 30th August 2015, 10:59 PM   #532
soongsc is online now soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Working with amps and ICs for some time now, it seems layout creates issues in many ways as well as ground interaction. Interaction between digital and analog grounds often get ignored in designs.
Old 31st August 2015, 03:09 PM   #533
keith_correa is offline keith_correa  India
diyAudio Member

So what's the definitive consensus on the wire geometry to be used? Is this it?:
3 bundles of 40 AWG coated wire, each bundle consisting of 46 twisted strands - twist rate: 1 full turn per inch

These 3 bundles then need to be twisted together in the direction of the individual twists - twist rate: one full turn per 2 inches
Question: What should be the end to end length of an individual pigtail? 12 inches?
Old 1st September 2015, 08:33 PM   #534
diyAudio Member

Groundside Electrons
I did explore a variety of overall gauge equivalents. Seemed that 140 strands of #40 (#15AWG equivalent for matching circular mils per amp with a solid wire) was the best balanced in the twisted three hank medium of type 2 Litz. There are folks who think the braid should be tighter, to avoid RF attaching itself to what amounts to a stub antenna. I haven't had any problems, even when the twist relaxes from it's spooled containment. With that much surface area available, a total length of 6 inches was the most versatile length, working well in every instance, though some times better than at other times.

I would recommend caution and sticking fairly closely to the plan developed for widest usage, as above.
Old 2nd September 2015, 05:04 AM   #535
diyAudio Member

Thanks! Bud.

3 bundles of wire. Each bundle consisting of 47 strands of individually coated 6 inch long 40AWG wire. Twisted with a twist rate of 1 full turn per inch.

These 3 bundles then need to be twisted together in the direction of the individual twists with a twist rate of one full turn per 2 inches.

Solder ends to form pigtail.

Last edited by keith_correa; 2nd September 2015 at 05:13 AM.
Old 2nd September 2015, 05:54 AM   #536
diyAudio Member

Isn't 140 strands of 40AWG wire = 18.7 AWG?
Old 2nd September 2015, 07:31 AM   #537
diyAudio Member

Groundside Electrons
Yes...I claim old age...
Old 2nd September 2015, 09:18 AM   #538
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudP View Post
Yes...I claim old age...
Old 10th October 2015, 06:23 PM   #539
Legis is offline Legis  Finland
diyAudio Member

Has these Audio Vaccine's Music Serum plugs been covered yet here? Is the mechanism the same or different than BudP's tweak? They come attached to both + and - terminals...

Audio Vaccine Music Serum

http://www.monoandstereo.com/2014/11...ug-in_16.html:
“Music Serum implements different metals and dedicated selection of custom wires. For the accurate combining of all metals we have developed a manual »knitting machine for metals«, which is designed to hybridly combine all metals with accuracy beyond millimetres. The central part, functioning as a sound cleaner, is made of composite materials of accurately defined dimensions in the interior. All procedures are finished with crimping, without any soldering. All interior isolations are made of teflon! Decorative wooden ends are handmade of ten-year-old dried walnut wood.”
Old 10th October 2015, 07:32 PM   #540
diyAudio Member

Groundside Electrons
Nope, has nothing to do with what Ground Control or other suitable devices made by experimenters exploring what I have pointed to as an unexplored sonic gold mine. The returning electrical field and what condition it is in is what these devices act upon. These GC devices are never hooked across the + / - terminals.

Groundside ElectronsHide this!Advertise here!