Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st December 2010, 06:23 PM   #401
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks.

Theob, thanks.

And isn't this better than the vituperative stuff on AA about this tweak?

FYI, I'm 'bartc' there.
Old 31st December 2010, 08:02 PM   #402
BudP is offline BudP  United States
diyAudio Member

I have no idea where we might go to obtain actual data on battery usage as a ground plane charge device. One of the AA posts indicated that using a battery ground lug to attach to electrical equipment in a space environment dramatically lowered the noise floor. There were some disputations from others of course. Likely the usual AA sour grapes over not having been quite clever enough....

I look at the return side of single ended electronics as a zone where there are a minimum number of electrons inhabiting the outer orbits of the copper atoms. Just the opposite of the plus side, where the driver is providing as full a charge of electrons to available orbits as possible, between driver and load impedance.

This is of primary importance during the E field moment when the signal attached to the wave guide must halt and change vector, to flow back through the load. With a full ground plane near the signal side circuits, the constant effects of E Fields through dielectric materials, which draw electrons into a specific area, will clump into a fully charged area under the plus side circuit. Electrons do not travel very far or very fast, mostly they just seethe in random Brownian motion until frozen for a moment by a vector change. So this continual E Field gathering process will keep them local to the area under the plus side circuitry. Adding a dielectric with a relatively low charge threshold, in a triboelectric sense, will just aid in this process. The net result is less lost information from the signal during the E Field moments, hence a better signal to noise ratio and a greater information coherence to the back wave as the signal is drawn back through the load.

The Ground Control devices mimic this portion of full ground planes. They are a very low RAC / RDC loop of wire (140 strands of #40 AWG insulated, 5 nines copper, coil winding wire). Since they are made with true braided Litz wire they are relatively immune to airborne EMF and proximity effect. All of this adds up to a lower impedance "well" for ground side electrons to seethe into, fill all available orbits within and then provide a huge, low loss, unterminated wave guide for the signal to "ring" in while awaiting the E Field moment vector change, that will draw it back across the load. Obviously only a fraction of the signal performs this, but it is enough to provide greater audible back wave coherence.

We should be able to measure this effect with the same methods used to look into the benefits of using full ground planes. Assuming of course there are tests aimed at describing the functions of ground planes.

And yes Marc, strip ground, commercial, reinforced insulation, audio components are particularly susceptible to audible improvement with these GC devices. Fully differential equipment is immune as are most applications using a full ground plane.

Bud
Old 1st January 2011, 11:01 AM   #403
marce is online now marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Cheers Bud,
and happy new year
Old 1st January 2011, 04:45 PM   #404
diyAudio Member

Bud, have you been hanging out with "danielwritesbac" and "Distroyer OS." ?
As your posts are starting to resemble theirs.
Old 1st January 2011, 08:25 PM   #405
theob is offline theob  United States
diyAudio Member

Budp or others with experience: can the groundsides be used on pwer supplies grounds even digital ps grounds?
Old 2nd January 2011, 11:09 AM   #406
marce is online now marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I wouldn't use them on SMPS, again due to fast and high current switching, re the same reasons I wouldnt use them on digital equipment. For SMPS they will act as transmitters of the harmonic noise from the switching, which is hard enough to control in the first place.
Linear, I dont know.
Old 2nd January 2011, 05:02 PM   #407
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Budp or others with experience: can the groundsides be used on pwer supplies grounds even digital ps grounds?
I think it was warned about NOT to use on anything digital. Of course I had to try my self on my SD card player/ Buff dac PS star ground and yes, bad move. I really thought I hurt something. Dropouts, ticks, pops, it was scary for awhile even after the device was removed. All is OK now though.

Wanted to mention also something about how I prep magnet wire. I have a big ugly soldering iron, about 150-200 watt with a large flat tip about 1.5 in wide. This was enough heat to melt the enamel when used with acid type flux. Just make sure the acid flux does not drip down the useable part of the wire and you are good to go. I cleaned each end with alcohol before soldering all the ends together. In case some people have a big iron but no solder pot.

BudP, these little devices are great. Noticeable improvement when used on the star ground of my F5's, and at the minus on the back of speakers.
Old 2nd January 2011, 07:39 PM   #408
BudP is offline BudP  United States
diyAudio Member

MMMHMMMM drop outs, check, pops n clicks, check, complete recovery, check..... did you try it on the analog out of your DAC yet? Second best place to put these things. Then you might just try the commercial version on your speakers. You will find additional attributes available.

Bud
Old 2nd January 2011, 09:06 PM   #409
diyAudio Member

Quote:
did you try it on the analog out of your DAC yet?

Waiting for more wire, but that is the next place I will try.
Old 3rd January 2011, 12:52 AM   #410
theob is offline theob  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marce View Post
I wouldn't use them on SMPS, again due to fast and high current switching, re the same reasons I wouldnt use them on digital equipment. For SMPS they will act as transmitters of the harmonic noise from the switching, which is hard enough to control in the first place.
Linear, I dont know.
Marce: I use LiFePo4 batteries as my sound card digital supply and my Buf32s digital power supply. So both are linear. But by accident I put some groundside simulators on my sound card ps and it worked fabulously until I remembered something about no digital , so I pulled it out quickly. No damage but there was 10 seconds or so of sublime music. Yea I'll refrain in the future.

Hide this!Advertise here!