Groundside Electrons - Page 29 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th May 2009, 11:07 AM   #281
diyAudio Member

Has anyone tried running a separate dedicated ground wire from the driver frame directly to amp chassis ground (ie. not via signal return)?

Cheers,

Alex
Old 13th May 2009, 04:04 PM   #282
earplay is offline earplay  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Well, I'll be dipped!

Had a couple of 20 inch pieces of WLM DIY White Lightning extension cord around. That Chinese extension cord sold by Wal-Mart and Home Depot that Jeff Day reviewed in 6moons.

The pieces had already been removed from the stock casing and stripped on one end. I stripped the other end, wrapped the ends to form loops and attached them to the speaker returns on my amp.

Listened to some of my favorite recordings and heard things I never heard before. Smoother and more detailed and far more listenable.

All that with just a rough and ready application of a couple of wire loops.

Incredible!
Old 13th May 2009, 05:30 PM   #283
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by SimontY
I will put a jumper wire from this to the return/ground of the speaker cable connection.
I'd run a seaparate wire to a ground on the amp.

dave
Old 13th May 2009, 05:48 PM   #284
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
Quote:
Originally posted by planet10
I'd run a seaparate wire to a ground on the amp.
Fine, I can do that.
Old 13th May 2009, 09:34 PM   #285
BudP is offline BudP  United States
diyAudio Member

Simonty,

The ancients also electro-tin coated their baskets, or perhaps it was cad plating. At least all of the 4 foot tall radios I ever climbed into did. So, you might also have to scrape the paint around the convenient hole, to get to a quasi conductive surface.

earplay,

Yup, one of those jaw droppers, or smacked gobs, next one comes when you learn how to "tune" for varying amounts of information retention/support above and below 4 kHz or so.

Bud
Old 14th May 2009, 09:00 AM   #286
diyAudio Member

Default Mercury Living Presence

BudP et al.,

FYI, one of my "reference" recordings is a Mercury Living Presence recording of Antol Dorati conducting the LSO. It is not one of the 35mm recordings and the disc is Redbook. This was one of the first recordings I tried in my listening test after installing two loops of extension cord wire on my amp's speaker returns.

My experience is that you are exactly right, in that the general background noise of the recording seemed to be refined into details of the performance such as attack, decay and ambient venue sounds. Also, the instruments seem full-bodied, again a function of the micro-details of the recording being properly resolved instead of being smeared into a harsh and irritating mass.
Old 15th May 2009, 11:28 PM   #287
diyAudio Member

Another thing I noticed after installing loops on my amp was the almost complete absence of ringing. I thought my system was ringing and maybe it was, but that high freq irritant is virtually absent with the loops installed. Amazing!

BudP, thanks for your open mind.
Old 16th May 2009, 12:57 AM   #288
BudP is offline BudP  United States
diyAudio Member

earplay,

Now lets do something actually scary, that makes this look like kindergarten. Join the madmen howling down this road, just for a thrill.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...31#post1460031

Bud
Old 16th May 2009, 02:41 AM   #289
diyAudio Member

Default breaking-in vs broken-in

BudP,

I'm an adventurous guy and have considered EnABLing my Hornshoppe Horns. I haven't for three reasons.

First, I have nerve damage and my hands are not up to that kind of precision any more.

Second, while I know I could have it done, that would cost me $$ and, third, I am unsure it would make much difference as my Horns are already broken-in. Maybe you could tell me.

I've cooked up another scheme that would probably fit within your cognitive domain. I'm using currently WLM DIY White Lightning speaker cable- that Home Depot/Wal-Mart Chinese extension cord that sounds so good. I've soldered it directly to the drivers in my Horns.

I am planning to install about twenty inches of Oyaide Across 2000 Ohno copper speaker cable to the ends of my cheapie WLM speaker cables and attach that to my drivers. The notion is that the hybrid cables will sound like the entire length is composed of the Oyaide cable. I think the Crystal Cable Bridge and the Acoustic System International Liveline IC use the same principle. Any thoughts on this- that is, if I haven't wandered too far OT.
Old 16th May 2009, 02:49 AM   #290
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: breaking-in vs broken-in

Quote:
Originally posted by earplay
... I am unsure it would make much difference as my Horns are already broken-in...
Just talk to any of many Hornshoppe owners who have installed FE126eN.

Peter for instance http://www.planet10-hifi.com/driver-reviews.html#peterC

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!