Groundside Electrons - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th August 2007, 10:56 PM   #111
scottw is offline scottw  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Seems to be going better with a little finesse and practice.

Makes me want to kick myself for passing up a used solder pot for $5 at a swap meet. Was too loaded down with transformers and other goodies to pack it out.

Scott
Old 8th August 2007, 11:06 PM   #112
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BudP

Yep, solder pots..............

Bud - does piece of really damn fine stranded spk cable (ala Monster, 4-6 mm^2) will do the job or is it insulation ( which you achieve using multiple magneto-strands) between strands crucial ?

TIA
Old 8th August 2007, 11:36 PM   #113
BudP is offline BudP  United States
diyAudio Member

Choky,

I do not know.

To talk to the physiks folks, each wire occludes all other wires beneath it, as far as coupling with the dielectric is concerned. This was a statement made about bare wire. Seems as though the insulated wire acts differently than was expected for bare wire. Certainly appears that those who have used magnet wire need less actual square inches of dielectric material around the multi strand cable.

Since there is not yet any rigorous analysis done on this effect, all is guess work. Except that folks who have really good ground planes, big solid sheets of copper, isolated from signal traces and dumped to power ground, have less success with these little loops.

I suspect that is why they are so useful out at speakers. I would try what you have and be ready to remove plastic dielectric like crazy.....

Bud
Old 8th August 2007, 11:49 PM   #114
BudP is offline BudP  United States
diyAudio Member

Nordic,

You are getting the idea. I might cut the loop, after removing insulation and before tinning and slide smaller diameter pieces of heat shrink tubing down the wire. I use three pieces, each one 15 mm long for a 150mm long piece of cable, made from 140 strands of #40 AWG insulated coil wire. Folks who use fewer strands seem to need more length of dielectric. Then solder it back up as a loop and attach to an appropriate place.

So for just a few strands of wire, and I have no idea how few, your complete enclosure of heat shrink may work very well.

The cotton sock is used to hide the reality of this foolishness, so that you can lie to the unsuspecting about this cool Quantum Mechanical Wizard Wire. If you tell them this and their eyes get big... well if it's your category of opposite sex you know what to do. If it's the other one, sell them some.

Bud
Old 15th August 2007, 08:21 PM   #115
diyAudio Member

Default Ground chain modification....

Bud asked me to repeat here a little mod that I have used and that works well. The mod involves simply connecting ground points in a system. In a loud speaker that is being bi or tri wired you simply take a chunk of good weight wire and connect the negative terminals together. Have used ten gage monster wire as well as good old zip cord with both legs connected. This can be expanded upon by connecting the ground connections of the left and right speakers together. With mono block amplifires or dual mono stereo amps you simply run a length of wire between the two units signal output ground (negative) terminals. The effects are most always very noticable with an increase in detail and spacial information so it would seem that low level detail is improved. I should think that this is very similar to Bud's electron pool technique. Point is that this is very simple to try and undo if you so choose. Perhaps some of you can play with this and report your findings. Playing with types of dielectric and amount of dielectric might prove interesting as well. I have only ever played with what were usually old unused speaker wire and zip cord but was always pleased with the results. Regards Moray James.
Old 16th August 2007, 09:24 AM   #116
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

I tried connecting the speaker grounds as you just suggested... immidiate ground loop hum followed... maybe due to suboptimal grounding in the preamp... (left and right channel shares ground in preamp due to pan/balance control)
Old 16th August 2007, 11:28 AM   #117
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Hello Nordic

Good to see you over on this thread.

This might be of some help with the grounding situation

http://svconline.com/news/avinstall_..._wiringsignal/

Hope this helps

Old 16th August 2007, 12:15 PM   #118
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Lot of info on ground planes and how currents travel in ground planes can be found at gigalabs.com and at the "printed circuit design and manufacture" site, amy be of intrest.
What also may be interesting (or not, depends how much your into PCB layout) is that on some designs it is worse for EMC having a seperate analogue and digital ground.
Another viewpoint is that as "conventional current plow" is basicly wrong, the ground plane is actualy the source, providing all those electrons for us to play with.
Old 16th August 2007, 01:56 PM   #119
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

I'm going to try that one on my electrical power utility and tell them that actually they should be paying me!

I like that idea!

A bit like "hole" theory in SS.

Old 16th August 2007, 02:11 PM   #120
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Ah, but in that vein arn't we sucking the electons out of that thearetical (or heretical) infinte source of electrons, ground or earth!

Hide this!Advertise here!