Groundside Electrons

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
All set

Ready to listen...
The bundle is connected to the Neg side of the Feastrex Box

Attachments

• dsc_0001_2.jpg
    dsc_0001_2.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 847
Like that. Shrinking the middle piece of tubing won't hurt either. I use an Olfa circular razor knife to cut the slits after I shrink the tubing FWIW.

For my units I actually have three pieces of shrink tubing for a 6 inch length of Litz. The end pieces are fully slit down their length with the Olfa knife and the center piece slit on the ends to about 1/3 the overall length. The little contiuous piece left in the middle actually controls events above 4 kHz or so.

This last bit should really bring the house down with nay sayers piling on from every direction!

Bud

I use the standard polyethylene type. I also use the sort with glue in it, I think it is still polyethylene, but not certain. The real key here appears to be relatively low dielectric constant, when used with a Litz wire loop. With less surface area cables, the importance of the dielectric constant becomes less, but I have no objective measurements to point to.

Basically, add material length until the sound gets smeared and then back off from that point to taste. Same sort of tactic will get you a listenable high frequency effect by altering how much center section is left, in the center piece. For the 140 strands of #40 Litz I use, most speakers need no more than 0.6" long pieces of shrink tubing, with cuts according to the above posting.

Bud

Now what if Phil's wire wire loops were cut at one end, insulation left on except at the cut ends, and the other end left as a loop with the pigtail on the tinned/cut end only? This would still have a loop of wire, but it's just self contained within the shrink tubing. Would this not work as well?

Carl

Hi Carl,

I do not know. To me the thought here, assuming there ever were any, is to make a place that is lower than local ground. Not lower than any ground anywhere, just very local ground and provide it with a low effort dielectric on the assumption that it will help to support the negative side of a signal working across a load. A shorted turn of wire hanging off of local ground seems to me to be just that. An unshorted piece of wire, maybe, maybe not, I don't know, I have not tried it myself.

Certainly R. Morrison's depiction of signal carrying circuits and their relationship to a poured ground plane, points to this as a beneficial thing to have happen. In my own experience these Litz wire loops provide the same sonic benefits that my experiments with poured ground planes, both on PCB's and as solid sheets of copper provided.

Bud

My thinking was a shorted wire, just not the way you suggested to Phil. That is, Phil had a coil of wire around two screws. Snip one end of this coil, tin the cut ends, add shrink wrap, then add pigtail for the connection.

In Phil's case, sounds like he stripped the insulation so I guess what I'm suggesting doesn't create a loop. But if you're using individual strands that are insulated/coated (like Litz?), this would seem to create a loop as you suggest. It's just that it would be in a linear form. Maybe I can draw this. And maybe I should just try it...

Carl

Somebody please come and collect my EE Majors' Club card please...:D

Bought some 15 strand 38 G litz from ebay. It came in today and spent a couple of hours making 3 of these loops. 2 had about 10 strands of litz (150 individual strands) about 10-11 inches. I put these into my Zhaoulu 2.5 DAC. One on the digital board and another on the analog board. I also made anothe about a ft long b ut with 16 strands of litz and put that into the negative terminal on my amp. What's crazy is that the DAC uses bad practices of using the case to ground digital and analog parts. This is well documented in various threads elsewhere here.

But here is where I messed up. In the DAC I had tapped out an XLR connection for some experiments of trying to avoid the opamp based analog board. I removed those, not wanting to remove the boards again ;ater on. I should have kept it there, just so we can really compare apples with apples.

I have been listening for a couple of hours now and for sure I can say that the background sure got blacker. Details improved and image improved.

Just so I can claim my card back, I will offer this. If anybody local want to come over and do a blind test, you are welcome. We can remove these loops, listen, put them back and check again. Repeat till it can be conclusively proved that I am not suffering from placebo effect.

Anybody game?:angel:

I will remove these loops later after a few days and see if the improvements vanish.

Bud,

Thanks a lot for making this trick available and it takes a lot of guts to withstand the criticism and attacks here.

Regards,
Dinesh
PS: BTW, that card has not been used in over 20 years, :eek: my day job is in software, but I digress....
;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.