Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th May 2007, 09:23 PM   #1
pjpoes is offline pjpoes  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to pjpoes
Default Quantity and Quality of Transformers

I know that the quality of the power transformer is important for Class A and many Tube amp projects. I have experienced this enough myself. I even found that with Chip amps, they seem to care somewhat about the quality of the transformer to a point.

I'm in the midst of completing my HT amp project using Aussey Amp modules, and I'm buying the parts for the power supply. The amp will have more than likely run the front three channels, but its possible it will run the center and surround only, and my other amp will run the fronts. I would like to design the power supply around the greatest draw needs, isntead of assuming that two of the channels will be drawing less than the one center, though in all likelyhood they will. Buying three transformers just seems too expensive, when you price out three 300va transformers and 12 power supply caps, along with all the other needed hardware and parts, the power supply becomes too expensive. There is the option however to do two, one for the center, and one for the other two channels.

First, Plitron transformers come with 4x42 volts, rather than the typical 2x42v. I assume this means it has 42-0-42 42-0-42 available. Does this mean that say an 800VA tranny rated as such would allow me to run two amps off of the windings seperate, and have it act as if the each amp has its own tranny? At that point, would it be worth while using just the one tranny, and spending the extra money on the plitron. Should I consider buying two cheaper transformers, say the Avel Y series chinese sourced units, and say buying one 800va and one 500va. I could do something similar or also just get a single 1000va from Antek on Ebay, but I assume those are also made in china. I was under the impression the quality of the transformers was better than the Avil's and less prone to hum, and the plitrons even more so. The Plitron Audio grade transformer is a very steep 387 dollars, but offers the supposed advantage of being quieter and I think sheilded possibly. A regular Plitron is like 150 dollars, Antek will be around 75-100 dollars each, and the Avil's are around the same. Let me know if you guys have an opinion on that.
Old 15th May 2007, 01:58 PM   #2
Pocoyo is offline Pocoyo  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Default Plitron

Plitron is expensive
but in audio we know money never lies

if i were you i will use Plitron for my "real audio"
but if it is just for fun buy cheaper transformer
think twice if you buy from the cheapest
Old 15th May 2007, 03:07 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Well I bought the Antek's from Parts Express for a few smaller projects before, and they were decent I thought. They did hum a bit, but nothing excessive. To be honost the only power transformer I have ever seen that didn't hum was the one that came in my Acurus Amp, not sure if its of better quality than most or what.

As for the Plitron, now I have to decide which level of plitron. I mean, the price is steep for those amp grade ones, over double the price of the standerd grade. Is it worth it? I mean 387 dollars, seems like I could buy the standerd grade, then pott it myself if that matters, and add an inductor of appropriate size to make the better power supply. I could be wrong but I would think that money is better spent on quality power supply capacitors and better designs, such as a Pi filter.
Old 16th May 2007, 01:21 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

hii

where we can find power supply caps as pi filter
thank u
Old 16th May 2007, 01:28 AM   #5
sam9 is offline sam9  United States
diyAudio Member

I've had equal luck with both Plitron ans Avel-Lindberg. Also I've found nothing to fault in the standard Plitrons. The most valuable feature in more expensive range is, in my opinion, the in-rush limitation as this may eliminate the need for a soft start circuit.
Old 16th May 2007, 01:29 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Um, you can't I think you misunderstood what I meant. A Pi filter is a CLC as in Capacitor Inductor Capacitor. I suppose that if a capacitor had series resistance it could act as one, but it would have to have more leads and be designed different, so I don't think its really possible.

I don't know that this will work but my plan at the moment is to use a design that has a 1000va toroidal transformer rated for 45 volts. A Single 10,000uf Panasonic TS capacitor, a series inductor rated for 10mh, then 40+,000uf's of capacitance after that. It is a classic Pi filter offering pretty low noise and plenty of filtering. Size, Cost, and Weight are all within reason. I'm actually excited to give this a shot, given that I get some feedback that the design is sound in real life, and not just on PSUDII.
Old 16th May 2007, 01:53 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Soft start

hii

if i use 1000ma output 45v secondary and my home voltage
is 220 volt

what size of soft start ?
which one is the best ?

Hide this!Advertise here!