Howto: Use LTSpice as schematic capture for FreePCB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

This subject of using these two freeware programs together has come up a few times in the FreePCB and LTSpice forums. I originally created a forum post on this subject, but realized that correcting errors after the fact was impractical. To allow this to be a document that evolves over time to add examples, clarify issues and correct any errors that might come up, I've made a web page covering this topic.

I've created actual boards using this technique, so the approach has been tested in the real world. You can access this page by clicking on my web link below, or by going directly here.

I hope this helps someone, but I suspect I may end up being the only one to use this technique.

Warning: Using this technique is not for the faint of heart! :)

andy_c said:
Hi all,

This subject of using these two freeware programs together has come up a few times in the FreePCB and LTSpice forums. I originally created a forum post on this subject, but realized that correcting errors after the fact was impractical. To allow this to be a document that evolves over time to add examples, clarify issues and correct any errors that might come up, I've made a web page covering this topic.

I've created actual boards using this technique, so the approach has been tested in the real world. You can access this page by clicking on my web link below, or by going directly here.

I hope this helps someone, but I suspect I may end up being the only one to use this technique.

Warning: Using this technique is not for the faint of heart! :)

Andy,

Thanks for documenting that, so well! I haven't tried FreePCB, yet. But someday I might.

I read most of your RIAA preamp article, too. Impressive.

- Tom Gootee

http://www.fullnet.com/~tomg/index.html

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your kind words!

I am definitely a fan of FreePCB. It's the only PCB package I've used where I was able to become productive almost immediately. The manual is very well written too, even funny in places. It doesn't just describe how to use the software, but also the overall process of PCB design and the information you need to supply to fab houses. Here's an excerpt from the beginning of the manual.

FreePCB is a free, open-source PCB layout editor for Windows, that I starting writing because I was unhappy with currently available free or low-cost PCB editors. The ones that I tried were either crippled by pin and layer limits, or buggy and difficult to use. I finally decided that any idiot could write a better one, and I was just the idiot to do it!

andy_c said:
Hi Tom,

Thanks for your kind words!

I am definitely a fan of FreePCB. It's the only PCB package I've used where I was able to become productive almost immediately. The manual is very well written too, even funny in places. It doesn't just describe how to use the software, but also the overall process of PCB design and the information you need to supply to fab houses. Here's an excerpt from the beginning of the manual.

You're welcome, Andy. But you definitely deserve the kudos. Your pages cover complex material and are well-developed and well-written.

I truly love my Easy-PC software, from http://www.numberone.com , but maybe I'll have to try FreePCB, too.

Later!

- Tom Gootee

http://www.fullnet.com/~tomg/index.html

-

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.