using silver-plated copper hook-up wires - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd May 2007, 01:13 AM   #1
jarthel is offline jarthel  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default using silver-plated copper hook-up wires

The total length used for each channel would be between 40cm to 60cm.

I'm just concern that the amp might sound "bright".

Am I worrying unneccesarily or should I replace it with bare copper hook up wires?

thank you for the replies
Old 3rd May 2007, 01:53 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

What property of 40-60 cm of silver plating could make an amp sound "bright"?

I_F
Old 7th June 2007, 11:30 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

If you replaced all of the wiring in your system with mil spec silver coated copper it may make a very slight improvement.
"Silver and bright" is snake oil bs.

I use mil spec silver coated copper because i love the quality, it is very nice to work with.
Old 8th June 2007, 12:22 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

" ... "Silver and bright" is snake oil bs. ..." ... Except for much longer runs ...

" ... i love the quality, it is very nice to work with. ..." ... Me, as well ...
Old 8th June 2007, 12:33 AM   #5
sam9 is offline sam9  United States
diyAudio Member

The only benefit I've experienced from silver clad wire (in connection with teflon dialectric) is that for me they are easier to solder. I.e., I'm less likely to get a poor solder joint. That may not be very exotic but it's not trivial either. I'll leave it to other to debate whether there is frequency response issue.
Old 8th June 2007, 12:54 AM   #6
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
The only benefit I've experienced from silver clad wire (in connection with teflon dialectric) is that for me they are easier to solder. I.e., I'm less likely to get a poor solder joint. That may not be very exotic but it's not trivial either.
Ditto. The net result may sound better, but I've not done any testing I could rely on. But with silver or silver plated copper, the joints sure do look better and that makes me feel better when I turn on the power.
Old 8th June 2007, 01:02 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

silver restivity = (20?C) 15.87 n??m ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver )
copper resistivity = (20 C) 16.78 n?m ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper )

Same, same for thermal characteristics and same, same for overall impedence ... Silver is better for these reasons and more. Silver plated copper wire is as good as pure silver wire because (higher voltage) electrons flow on the outside of a wire.

Can us mortals hear the difference? .... ... just add Teflon
Old 8th June 2007, 02:39 AM   #8
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Quote:
Originally posted by FastEddy
silver restivity = (20?C) 15.87 n??m ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver )
copper resistivity = (20 C) 16.78 n?m ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper )

Same, same for thermal characteristics and same, same for overall impedence ... Silver is better for these reasons and more. Silver plated copper wire is as good as pure silver wire because (higher voltage) electrons flow on the outside of a wire.

Can us mortals hear the difference? .... ... just add Teflon

I use all Silver coated copper wire, all mill spec, I get it all off ebay. It all comes covered with Teflon, i use it in my speakers i use it all in my amps and i use it for speaker/power wire.

Extreamly nice to work with, solder flows very nice to it.

Jase
Old 8th June 2007, 02:57 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

" ... Extreamly nice to work with, solder flows very nice to it. ..."

I found some very fine stranded pure silver wire (with tefon) about #12 AWG ... I discovered that it is a tremendous solder wick for picking up excess solder from other connections. I also use it for speaker leads, but quite honestly, I can't hear any significant difference, "golden ear" audio wise. It is posssible to measure very slight variations in resistance between the fine stranded silver and regular stranded #12 AWG copper, the silver being slightly less.
Old 8th June 2007, 02:59 AM   #10
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Quote:
Originally posted by FastEddy
" ... Extreamly nice to work with, solder flows very nice to it. ..."

I found some very fine stranded pure silver wire (with tefon) about #12 AWG ... I discovered that it is a tremendous solder wick for picking up excess solder from other connections. I also use it for speaker leads, but quite honestly, I can't hear any significant difference, "golden ear" audio wise. It is posssible to measure very slight variations in resistance between the fine stranded silver and regular stranded #12 AWG copper, the silver being slightly less.

what you dont hear the sound from converting from one type of copper to the other with silver PFFFTT,, lol yeah its all a myth. I use it because its nice to work with and my power amps get hot so having the teflon insulator helps alot.

Hide this!Advertise here!