Panasonic FM series capacitor - anyone have opinion? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th April 2007, 04:03 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Panasonic FM series capacitor - anyone have opinion?

Hello,

I have read that the Panasonic FM series is supposed to be superior to the Pana FC series.

Has anyone tried the FM? or have any feedback?

Thanks

Kevin
Old 30th April 2007, 10:52 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I use them all the time. They are not really available in values that would be used for signal path duties, but rather for filtering and bypass (from Digikey, anyway). When I sit down to order caps, if the voltage I need is 50V or lower, I check to see if I can get the FM cap instead of the FC cap. If it is not available, I get the FC, or go look at the Nichicon HE (their equivalent of the Panasonic FM).
Old 2nd May 2007, 09:20 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I second that. FM were possible, FC otherwise. They are generally cheaper to boot. The HE, though it is the cross ref for the FM, doesn't match the low ESR of the FM.
Old 6th November 2008, 09:06 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Some people claim that Panasonic FJ are better in ESR and ripple current than FM.

Regards.
Old 7th November 2008, 07:53 AM   #5
gurusan is offline gurusan  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to gurusan
I just purchased some 470uF panasonic FM caps to use on a new starving student millet headphone amp build.

I will use Panasonic FC for power caps and Panasonic FM for output caps bypassed with Wima MKP10 .33uF

My current starving student amp is using nichicon pw power caps and Nichicon Muse ES 330uF output caps bypassed with Wima MKP10 .33uF.

and Echowars, can you explain more why would you not use them for signal path duties? I am quite new at all this DIY stuff (I've built a cmoy, a starving student, and as I mentioned I'm about to build another starving student).

On another note, I've also heard the FJ caps are a bit better than the FM, but I can't seem to find anywhere that stocks them.
Old 8th November 2008, 09:12 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

On another note, I've also heard the FJ caps are a bit better than the FM, but I can't seem to find anywhere that stocks them. [/B][/QUOTE]

You can find them on eBay only.
Also I can't find them anywhere else.
Seems like Panasonic don't want to introduce them. Only on US website there are some links, but in catalog they are lacking.
Old 8th November 2008, 09:40 AM   #7
gurusan is offline gurusan  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to gurusan
yeah you can find them on ebay, but I can't seem to find anywhere that sells over a 16V rating.
Old 11th November 2008, 09:50 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I have found on some Chinese source a datasheet (or smth like that) of Pan FJ series. But I can't attach it (pdf-512Kb). Seems like there is a limitation of DIYAudio.
For 50V ratings it's not a great choice for capacitance values. From 100uF to 330uF only.
Old 11th November 2008, 12:01 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

The fact that Panasonic does not list the FJ series, even in their discontinued products list, means that they are likely quite old. Not a great thing for electrolytic caps. Be sure you properly condition them before use.
Old 11th November 2008, 02:50 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Recently, I've asked Panasonic to send me a datasheet of FJ caps, but they didn't answer me.
BrianDonegan, seems you are right. The engineering draft of FJ caps which I've found is dated on 23 May 2002.
BTW, I just read your signature. It's wonderful. I suppose you have a same friend.
Regards.

Hide this!Advertise here!