Sansui G-8000 Volume Pot Replacement?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My Sansui G-8000 needs a new volume pot. It's a 150k, dual pot with an extra lead that comes off of each of the winds which I believe go to the balance control.

I'm pretty sure that the actual part isn't available anymore, so I'm wondering if anyone has found a suitable replacement for this pot?

The numbers on it are: 7DB- 1011150 150k BX2

The 1011150 number is, I'm sure, the Sansui replacement part number, so the rest is all I have to go on to find a replacement.
It appears that 150k pots are sort of scarce nowadays, and even more scarce in a dual-pot configuration, and I haven't found ANYTHING with a fourth lead.

Am I screwed, gentlemen?

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I can't help with a new pot but what makes you think its bad?
I don't know the G-8000 either (only from beautiful pictures) but Sansui was know to put pretty good pots in there, hence my question.
It could be a worn out cap in the signal path if the pot is kind of scratchy. Do you have the schematic?

/Hugo

Hi,
Further to Netlist's excellent advice, (and IF the pot is your problem,) the replacement pot does not necessarily have to have a balance control. This can be permanently set with some resistors.

I expect that you have but ...... have you tried switch cleaner in the pot? Sorry, had to ask. :)

Regards,
Martin.

I'm reasonable sure it's the pot itself because when checking resistance on the back pot, my ohmeter measures a solid resistance between 0 up to about 147K.

On the front pot, it jumps between a direct short to various K readings, and in fact, when I turn the control all the way down to where the rear pot dependably reads "0", this front pot goes to direct short.

So yea, I'm pretty sure it's the pot, and of course I've already bathed it in deoxit.

My next step is/was to pry open the 4 little fingers that hold the front plate to the front of the front pot and lift that plate off, but it will NOT budge. I don't know how these are made so there may be some kind of retainer I can't see.

I'm hoping that if I could get it apart without destroying it, I "should" be able to see what's going on inside and maybe repair the errant front pot.
At the moment, though, I'm stuck and don't want to risk forcing it apart and making it worse.
That's why I'm trying to find a replacement dual pot assembly. If I can find a replacement, then I'll just go that route and be done with it. But if there is no replacement for it, then I'm going to have to take the chance of taking it apart and hoping for the best.
This dual pot does seem to be pretty durable and should be repairable, but the trick is to get it apart and back together without adding to the misery.

I know these receivers are old, but I truly don't understand why there isn't SOMETHING being manufactured today that wouldn't be a good replacement.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Your best bet will be finding another G-8000 at the scrape yard. Not easy.
Most new pots come in 100k and 200k. Without the balance option. I very much doubt you will be able to repair the worn out current pot; in any case I would not know how to do it. Maybe others have successfully repaired them.

/Hugo

zayne742 said:

Let me know if you want me to tear into mine, needs serviced anyway. Plus, I like rebuilding pots!

No help on those links which doesn't surprise me.

I sure don't want to be the one responsible for having you "tear" into your receiver, but if you were going to anyway... :bigeyes:

Perhaps you could take a peak at yours and give me a clue as how to get it apart. These things really aren't that complex and I truly am confident that I can rebuild it IF I can get it apart without damaging it any more than it is.
It's not a sealed pot by any means, and I'll bet I could fabricate just about anything I might need to once I take a peak inside.

I have the four retaining "fingers" carefully pried out just enough to clear the plate, but the plate won't budge at ALL in trying to get it to slip off the shaft toward the front.

It would be great if I/we could come up with an answer on this because I/we may very well be able to help others with pots on these models (G-8000/G-9000) that need some help.

If I remember correctly, there may be a locking pin or retainer of sorts on that pot. I believe that you just have to spin the shat to a certain location and then it will come loose. But i will have to look at mine and see, I also have a g-7500 that definitely need a bit of pot maintenance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.