Need a high quality volume control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, very high quality, in fact....for test application, which means constant manipulation.

I am looking for a dual volume pot, preferably audio taper, but will consider linear taper if better. Major criteria is durability.

Application is tube noise tester and the potentiometer must not mask the tube noise.

I looked at ALPS, typical life is 15,000 cycles. Looks good till compared with Bourns, who claims 25,000 cycles, but couldn't find dual pot. That also looks good till compared with MIL grade pots claiming 2.3 million cycles - no dual config either.....

NOBLE used to make good ones, but can't find any info now.

Value 20-100k, I can work around that.

Price is of little practical matter, but can't use switched resistors, TVC or similar, has to be a dual (ganged) potentiometer (size constraints).

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,
Boris

audiovista said:
Well, very high quality, in fact....for test application, which means constant manipulation....

Price is of little practical matter, but can't use switched resistors, TVC or similar, has to be a dual (ganged) potentiometer (size constraints).

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,
Boris

Hi,
Why can't you use switched resistors?
You can't do any better than a DACT switched resistors potentiometer.They are used or are designed for the most exactiing instrumentation applications.Check out the Danish Interconnect Company.Google and you will find out more.
Linear or taper if they don't have it you can ask to customise.

Even if you get pots with long life, that doesn't guarantee the matching of resistance in dual pots.

You could probably use a gear belt to drive two or more pots. Check W. M. Berg for the parts.

Audio attenuator ICs offer good matching and they are a LOT cheaper than pots.

I_F

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.