Outdoor party speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm not terribly experianced in the world of building speakers - though I have built a set for myself back when I was in high school, so I have an idea of the work involved (woodworking, soldering, electronics, etc.). However, I've decided to help a friend of mine out by tackling a project for him. We need some speakers for outdoor/beach parties down here on the island.

The main idea for these are that they pack up into his van for transportation (along with all his DJ gear), get setup at a beach bar or similar location, and he spins some tunes for the party all night. We're talking about house, trance, and probably some local reggae as well. So the bass response needs to be strong, but he'd like to have plenty of high end response as well (typically down here the DJ's have a big pair of boxes that gives plenty of bass, and not much else). I realize that a speaker outside will not have the same response as one inside a room - but is it possible to have a outdoor/PA-type speaker with a reasonably flat response, or even a 'warm' sound to it, in a small enough package to throw in the back of a van? These aren't large parties (we aren't talking about 100+ people - just down in front of a small beach bar, kicking some tunes).

My current thought is to have a three box setup - two boxes with a smaller woofer (maybe 8-12"), a strong mid-range, and a couple tweeters (I'm thinking a pair of horn tweeters now) - and a good sized subwoofer, with probably an 18" or so driver in there. I like the idea of a folded horn at the moment, but I could be convinced otherwise. This way I could keep the size of the 'satellites' down - 6 cu. ft. or so, and the subwoofer can be a bit larger

For the budget, I think up to US$1000 for all the drivers is feasible, and then the cost of the wood (MDF doesn't seem to be available down here, but I can get good quality particle board), and all the rest (grills, etc.) on top of that. The main constraint other than budget is size - if my friend can't transport this stuff in his van its a much bigger problem than the cost of building them. For bigger events we can always higher another van to bring in more speakers, but most of the time its a smaller thing, and he needs to be able to handle transport himself.

I have a month or so to work out the design before we go ordering parts (the drivers will have to get shipped down - but the wood can be found locally), so I have time to do more research and settle on a final design. I've read a couple threads discussing outdoor speakers, so I realize what I'm talking about is a bit of a challenge. I'm a bit intrique by some of the linear array ideas - but I'm concerned about size, they seem to tend to be very tall. So, if you think I should go a different route, I'm willing to listen, but any thoughts you have on my 3-box idea are appreciated.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I would measure the cargo area and see what's out there that might meet your needs.

A 15" folded horn bass unit looks good if it will fit. If not a 12" still packs a decent punch.

A 10" mid bass and a compression horn might just fit the bill for the satellites.

Extra bass bins can be added as needed for the bigger crowds.

Consider a plate amp for the woofer(s).

Try not to use MDF or particle board near the beach.

Hi,

Please give careful consideration to what Cal said about particle board & the beach. Better yet get a scrap peice of particle board & leave it in water for a day, look at it 7 days later & then decide if this is the material you want to build cabinets with.

Whatever you do, best of luck.

Ralph

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.