DJ Needs to Save Money - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th October 2006, 01:33 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default DJ Needs to Save Money

Hey everyone,

I'm a poor DJ from Georgia that loves to do DIY projects. I need a new set of speakers when i travel and do parties....My 15+ Electrovoice speakers aren't doing it anymore... I'm looking to spend around 300 dollars. I'm not looking for anything outstanding, just the basics: good bass, clean highs and mids, and loud enough to make a 200 square foot room get their dance on. I appreciate all the help(i hope you give me). And i'm open to any kind of suggestions, unless their telling me to "screw off figure out this stuff yourself"
Holla

Kyle
Old 13th October 2006, 01:36 AM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Kyle and welcome to the forums.

Hey, before you screw off, I see you wrote 200 ft^2. Is that more like 2000ft^2?

Do you want a box that one person can carry?

What wrong with the EV's?
Old 13th October 2006, 01:39 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

That price might be tough. You could start by looking at this PE project and figure out where to go from there.
Old 13th October 2006, 02:03 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to joe carrow
$300 is a tight, tight budget for something that's supposed to outdo something from Electrovoice with a 15 inch woofer. The PE project linked above looks quite good, but it's about $350 per speaker, not counting wood.

If you really need to upgrade and you have $300, I hate to say it but you might be best off selling the EVs to increase your budget. Another alternative might be to supplement the present speakers with a subwoofer. You just might be able to do it within the budget, depending on what gear you already have.
Old 13th October 2006, 02:35 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

O yea, that would be my bad.... 2000 ^2 feet would be correct. That zero could have been a huge difference. Yea it would be nice if i could carry it. But im pretty buff and manly(not really) so i guess im going to have to say a max of around 80-100 pds.
Old 13th October 2006, 02:35 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

And i saw those PE speakers before, i thought it would be a good idea, but i would like to see another approach to it. Plus, apolstery isn't my idea of fun.
Old 13th October 2006, 02:35 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

And for the last edit...sorry, no edit feature here. My EV's are fifteen years old, not 15" subs. Thats whats the problem with them. I think their watt RMS is like 200 Watts, which is depressing.
Old 13th October 2006, 01:09 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Jim85IROC
Within your budget, your best approach is probably to buy a used pair of Cerwin Vega home speakers. When I DJ smaller venues, or even larger ones that don't need high SPLs, I use a pair of 280SE 12" 3-way speakers that I've had since I was in high school. They're more than up to the task of doing smaller gigs, and they're far better sounding than any affordable PA speaker that uses horns.

If you scan Ebay, I'm sure you can snag a pair of 15" Cerwin Vegas that'll rock a 2000ft^2 room.
Old 13th October 2006, 02:51 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Well buying a set of speakers would be great and all, but i just really want a project of building something myself. Having a year off from Georgia Tech leaves me bored, and this is something i feel like doing. And another thing to specify. 300-400$ per speaker...not for the pair(im not that much of a cheap ba....)
Old 13th October 2006, 04:50 PM   #10
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

I would consider googling around for some 15" coaxial PA units. You can probably get away with a steel basket type. I have the Selenium 15" units for party time and they do just fine with a little EQ. Too bad PE doesn't have them anymore. See what you can find and come back with them.

Hide this!Advertise here!