Ideas for a cheap party speaker - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2006, 12:57 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to xstephanx
Default Ideas for a cheap party speaker

in my quest for a lo fi, inexpensive, loud party speaker (think cerwin vega, bump and sizzle sound) ive come across two drivers, which i think could work well together.
each speaker will have:

4 10" woofers
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=290-274
and two piezo tweeters
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=280-062

im not really that much concerned with SQ it should have bass and be able to play loud and be somewhat durable

for the enclosure i modelled 4.0 cuft tuned to 40 hz wia two 4" ports looked good

my only concern is, do you thin the pyramids can really reach 1800hz? (the natural crossover point of the piezo tweeter)

crossover wise i was thinking to let the electrical properties of the piezo tweeter run their natural course and roll off the tweets at 1800hz, and then have a second oder croossover on the 4 woofers at 1800hz. cheap and simple.
Old 29th March 2006, 02:47 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Here you go:

http://www.partsexpress.com/projects...oys/index.html
Old 29th March 2006, 02:58 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

seen it, not really interested, doesnt have close to as much low end, and wont be as efficient or loud.

really the only thing im asking is if the pyramids can make it up to 1800khz to cross to the piezo. it doesnt need to be too smooth, and if its like 1db down at 1800hz i dont care. the frequency response spec at partsexpress say that it can go up to 3khz, but i dont knwo hwo accurate those kinds of specs are.
Old 29th March 2006, 07:52 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

bump

come on someone has got to know if it would be reasonable to expect a useable 1800hz out of a 10" driver of that size.
Old 29th March 2006, 08:38 PM   #5
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Stephan,

It will be fine. I wouldn't be too concerned about your FR graph or SQ, these are party speakers. You're wanting to use four woofers instead of one larger one, you're wanting to use two horn tweeters in the same cabinet, piezos to boot. What are you expecting?

I don't know if you need the 12dB XO on the woofs. I'd be tempted to run only a coil on the woofs and a cap on the piezo to hopefully reduce that annoying piezo sound.

They will be fine for what you are doing with them. I used to build a dual 12" and piezo for my party friends and they all loved them. It was a horrible combination of high Q woofers (read small magnet) and again, that oh so wonderful piezo in a plywood box. I ran them MTM (before there was a name for it) and took insulation from my parents attic. No grille, no finish, just raw speaker fun.

Ah, those were the days.
When volume used to rule.
Old 29th March 2006, 09:29 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

those are the kind of speakers im thinking, and apart from mids coming out everywhere i dont see whats wrong with 4 10s, as far as bass goes its gonna rule (if you model it its got a big 4db bass peak, but useable extension down to 40hz in only a 4cu ft box tuned to 40 via two 4" ports).

but will they have REALLY scooped mids? thats really what im worried about, i wanna have a bit of a loudness cruve going on.

about piezo tweeters, putting a first order high pass on it with a cap requires you to do some weird resistor combo thing with the piezo. but from the piezo article at partsexpress i go the idea that i could just do a crossover for the woofers, and paralell the piezos with the woofers before the crossover and that would gimme a corssover point on the piezos of 1800hz. i also got the idea that that would give the speaker a nominal impedance of the 4 woofers in series paralell(4 ohms).

if my thinking in the previous paragraph is right i just might do that and see if im satisfyed, if not ill make some more crossover mods.
Old 30th March 2006, 03:05 PM   #7
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

If you want to have some real fun, go grab a 5mH (or so) choke and run it in series with your piezo. Yes I said a choke in series with your tweeter. Come back and tell us what happened. You might be surprised. I sure was.

Old 30th March 2006, 03:09 PM   #8
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Cal,
Let's see .... Adjust level with a cap and x-over freq with a resistor (since the piezo "looks" like a cap). So the coil made a band pass with a high Q.

Never tried this but that's what I'd expect. What did you see?

-Chris
Old 30th March 2006, 03:37 PM   #9
baggins is offline baggins  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

hi Cal ,

I,m into piezo's too.NOBODY ever suggested using mh anywhere near them !! Das ist Verbotten Ya .

What happens - I like Heretics

||
||
||
||
V
Old 30th March 2006, 05:26 PM   #10
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Go try it and report back your findings. I was doing that to piezos over 20 years ago and no blown amps yet.

No resistors, no caps, just a coil in series.

Another strange but true story brought to you by the strange and true CW.

Hide this!Advertise here!