re-conditioning PA cabinets - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th July 2004, 12:18 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HiSPL
What you want is WEST system epoxy http://www.westsystem.com/ . It is quite strong and chip resistant. And, you don't have to use ANY fiberglass cloth if you don't want too. I believe it can also be tinted black if that is your preference. And most importantly, it can be applied right over any kind of wood, plastic, or steel. Just remove your vinyl, sand smooth and apply the epoxy.

Thanks H, and they have couple of UK distributors too...
This sounds like the stuff that PA manuf used.

I didn't see anything on the website about how to spray the mixed epoxy/hardner compound.. These babies I got are approx 48"(H)x23"(W)x27"(D), So it's either spray or roller.

Have you ever done/seen this stuff sprayed with a black tint mixed in?

Has "anyone" used it before ?

Cheers again "H".
Old 8th July 2004, 08:47 AM   #12
Bull is offline Bull  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default reply

Even if u treat them with fibreglass on the outside,moisture will still get in and make the chipboard crumble.

Learn the hard way if you can think you can use crappy chipboard cabinets in wet conditions.
If chipboard was so good every pa manufactor would use it LOL

Don't just take my word for it read it here.

http://colomar.com/Shavano/pa_speaker_project.html

And read Box Thickness and Materials on that section!
Old 8th July 2004, 10:04 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Cool Re: reply

Bull, Thanks for your input and obvious experience.

I completely agree with you, ply is best and if I had the choice (and dollaeros) I would either commission scoops made out of marine or birch ply or buy *** scoops.

However, I just need these "cheap and cheerfulls" to last long enough and serve me enough to finance the above and some used crown 2400's .. (Personal preference, no flames please..)

Quote:
http://colomar.com/Shavano/pa_speaker_project.html

(and if you already have a "particle board" cabinet you need or expect to last very long, stop reading now, remove the back or largest drivers, and coat any exposed interior board with some sort of sealant - paint, varnish, diluted Elmer's glue, whatever. Let it dry thoroughly before reinstalling the back or driver. It won't fix the basic problem but it will forestall failure a little longer.
Old 8th July 2004, 03:43 PM   #14
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: reply

Quote:
Originally posted by Bull
So you said they are made of high density chipboard??? most chipboard is low density crap.
I wonder. Chip board is what we used to call OSB. Made up of glued and pressed wafers. You can't make cabinets from it. I wonder if he means particle board or more likely K3. This was acceptable for indoor speakers for years before we came upon MDF, which incidentally isn't that much different from K3 except that MDF has the allowance of a larger chip.

Cal
Old 8th July 2004, 03:55 PM   #15
Bull is offline Bull  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default reply

OSB is Oriented strand board and is strands/flakes of wood glued together.

Particle board or chipboard is wood dust and wood chips glued together.

MDF is wood fibres felted together

And last of all plywood is several thin layers of birch or whatever bonded together with resin.

Old 8th July 2004, 05:32 PM   #16
HiSPL is offline HiSPL  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by levyte357

Thanks H, and they have couple of UK distributors too...
This sounds like the stuff that PA manuf used.

I didn't see anything on the website about how to spray the mixed epoxy/hardner compound.. These babies I got are approx 48"(H)x23"(W)x27"(D), So it's either spray or roller.

Have you ever done/seen this stuff sprayed with a black tint mixed in?

Has "anyone" used it before ?

Cheers again "H".
I've never sprayed it before and don't know whats involved. But rolling it or brushing it on is quite easy. And if you have access to the inside you could put a coat on where ever you can reach and that will help moistureproof them even more.

Good luck....
Old 24th November 2008, 02:48 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I think that when this person was talking about spray on fibreglass that they were just talking about Resin and not actualy Chopped Strand Mat.
If they were talking about actually using fibreglass that would be crazy as fibreglass barley sticks to scuffed up plywood let alone particle board.
Resin would waterproof them to a point but no more than paint would.
The fact that you will be pulling off vinly means that you will have to grind all the excess glue off (sanding disks will eventually do the job but they will clog easily, so I would go with a grinder and a grinding disk) any glue left on there and the resin will not harden in those areas.
By now the boxes would be full of bumps and grind marks and a clear resin would do them no good in the looks dept.
The resin would not stregnthen the boxes at all only waterproof.

My solution would be , rip the vinyl off, brace them up a bit and carpet the buggers.Unless they are for an install they are not going to last long but should last long enough to make some money off them.
Old 24th November 2008, 04:29 PM   #18
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Maybe in the 4 years that passed since posting the person has done the job Oh well at least you did actually bother to search Welcome.

Hide this!Advertise here!