Carved Waveguide plan for top of 4-way system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,
I'm about to start a build of a system, and I would like to have a set of carved wooden waveguide horns for the compressors.
Frequency range is looking like 1kHz-16kHz.
I haven't chosen a driver yet as I guess I'll choose when I've sussed a waveguide design, but it may be a chicken-egg thing? Also imagining a design will have to be calculated to fit the driver, but hoping there's a modern plan out there somewhere with a modern driver.

The rest of the system:
2 x miniscoops with 18" 900W drivers
2 x 15" reflex 450W drivers
4 x 10" w eminence deltalite II 2510 250W
2 x compressors (will need to be quite powerful)

Hoping to double the whole thing at some point.

First build, perhaps ambitious, but that's never stopped me before :)

Would like to carve up something like these
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Cheers

With a total of two 18" subs, you really don't need to run a 4-way system. If anything, it's going to make everything an awful lot more complicated, and all the additional phase shifts and processing required will hurt the overall sound, IF you manage to get all the different frequency responses lined up nicely.
Even a 3-way system is non-trivial to get running nicely.

I'd go for 18"s in tapped horns, with 12" midbass drivers and 1.4" exit compression drivers. Crossovers at 100Hz and 1kHz. Use 1x HF, 2x MF, and as many subs as you can afford. They'll be the weak link for a while.
Once you've got 8x subwoofers, it's time to look at horn-loading the 12"s and putting some 15"s in there as an 80Hz-200Hz section.

Some of it is advertising, of course, but there's some useful hints and tips on my website: Grimshaw Audio Sound System

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.