Mixer advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

A bit of an audio newbie here, I need some help with deciding on a mixer for our audio system.

The current setup we have is a handheld mic, where its receiver is leading into an amp via an XLR cable, then the amplifier goes into the speakers.

What we want to do is add a mixer which will allow the following features:
- Pan control (L/R speaker output control) - but not necessary
- Volume
- Gain, hi & low control
- Support up to 2 mics

We originally considered going for something simple like this mixer, but have since found out that the mixer we will buy will have to be wall mounted, and would also prefer some form of audio level display (not necessary). The wall-mounting part itself is not an issue, since we can make our own mount, it's just considering that the cables come out of the front of the mixer and we want to keep a low-profile look on the wall, which this mixer will not do.
So I've come across this mixer (Behringer NOX). Now I know Behringer is a good company so reliability and build quality is not an issue, but I can't figure out myself whether it has pan control (it would seem that it doesn't!), and also whether this would be the right thing for our setup, since it's labelled as a DJ mixer and I don't know if this makes a difference in any way where it would not be suitable for what is basically a big presentation space. Being a newbie I just want to make sure that this can do what I want it to (which is support 2 XLR mics for presentations, and have EQ and volume control). Any support on whether the Behringer NOX would be a good fit is appreciated!

If anyone out there can suggest an alternative mixer which has as many of the following qualities as possible then I'm open to alternatives:
- Is a dark colour theme (like the two I posted)
- Considering that we want this to be wall-mounted, we want the dials to be facing outwards, and preferably have the inputs on the top panel (so the dials and the inputs are on adjacent panels) - however, we can create our own wall-mounts so it doesn't need to have in-built wallmounting capabilities.
- Preferably has a display of the audio levels (like in the Behringer NOX).
- Has volume control (slider is preferred but dials are fine).
- Has Hi, Lo, Gain control.
- Pan control is a bonus.
- The mic is XLR, so obviously the less converter cables the better, but it's also not much of an issue.
- Extra space on the mixer where we can put labels are a bonus - but not necessary.
- Supports 2 mics.
- Max depth/height of 15cm (considering cables)

Last edited:
I realise the link I put to the Behringer NOX was broken, so here's an updated link. Any thoughts on whether this is suitable for presentations & XLR mics?
That mixer has no XLR mic inputs at all and only one 1/4" mic input.

IMO you want a pro sound style mixer with at least 2 mic inputs and balanced XLR outputs, DJ mixers should be avoided in general as their mic inputs are typically quite weak.

More mixer recommendations!

Hi all,

I was speaking to an audio expert the other day, and he mentioned that you can get mixers which connect to an app on your iPad/Android device. I can't seem to locate any of these, does anyone know good mixers which have app-support?

Some other qualities that I'd love the mixer to also have:
- Pan control is a bonus
- 2-4 channels
- Visual indicator of sound levels would be a bonus
- EQ

I will be plugging at least 2 XLR microphones into it, so the less converters needed to connect them, the better.

Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.