Before the summer is over: PA/Hifi Speaker for outside application

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The goal is to develop a well-sounding loudspeaker that can be outside from spring till autumn (rain protected in middle Europe). Originally I planed 12 '', but then I tends to 15 ''.
After first sketches it was clear, that the 15 '' variant would be too heavy as a single box (every now and then it should be transported). Of course, they should be (spray) waterproof.

After 2 weeks of research and calculations, 2 driver families were short-listed. The SP12/302PA or SP15/402PA from Monacor, or the Beyma WR series. With both manufacturers I already had good experiences - price performance is right for both. In the end I favor the Beyma chassis.

the 15 '' variant:
TMT assembly is now clear: Beyma 15WR400.

Now I would like to ask you to an adequate high / midrange. My current thoughts are the combination of the MRH200 Horn with the Celestion CDX1-1747 driver. What do you all mean? Alternatives? Ideas?
OHE_v001.jpg

Hello how does the rain protection work?
Are you sure you re allowed to play music outside in Vienna? My experiences here are quite different ;-(
"Mia woin unsa ruah' oda I hoi de Polizei! ..."
Anyway, nice to find a countryman here in the internet.

I live a bit outside of vienna, so, thats not a problem. Sadly I had a lot of other stuff to do, so the project is still not finished. At the moment I am doing the painting job *boring*

Attachments

• IMG_20181017_163025.jpg
    IMG_20181017_163025.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_20181026_150856.jpg
    IMG_20181026_150856.jpg
    414.9 KB · Views: 275
Hey, nice to see you back here. It looks like the 2018 summer is over, you have some months to build the speakers until 2019 summer ;-)

I guess, you are right :rolleyes: over time, I changed some things. The tweeter is now from Obertone 1.4'' (just want to try them) and the horn from 18th sound.

Powered by amplifiers, also designed by my own. So let's hope, they fire in march.

Hurry up with the build as the good warm time of the year is approaching fast!

You are right. Painting is nearly done. Now connectors and protection corners needs to be mounted. Then measurements starts.

After long planing and a visit at Oberton in Plovdiv, Bulgaria, I decided to use a 1,4'' driver from them. So bass from Beyma, HT driver from Oberton and the horn from eighteensound. I think a nice European collection.

So you need to visit some manufacturing site in order to know if you want to buy the product? Interesting....
Spain, Italy and Bulgaria. Wood from Austria, I guess...
What's missing? The expensive amp from Sweden?

(OT: I like that beyma and 18sound stuff. Currently using 2 x 15MI100 (120Hz - 400Hz) and 2 x 18NLW9400 (40 - 120Hz) in my garden setup. Boy how I love to kick them hard as they want it that way! I have 2 old RCF midrange 8" and 2 RCF compression horns on top..)

So you need to visit some manufacturing site in order to know if you want to buy the product? Interesting....
Spain, Italy and Bulgaria. Wood from Austria, I guess...
What's missing? The expensive amp from Sweden?

(OT: I like that beyma and 18sound stuff. Currently using 2 x 15MI100 (120Hz - 400Hz) and 2 x 18NLW9400 (40 - 120Hz) in my garden setup. Boy how I love to kick them hard as they want it that way! I have 2 old RCF midrange 8" and 2 RCF compression horns on top..)

Haha, well I think it's always interesting to visit production facilities. As you can read in an earlier thread, I decided it before. And during a trip in Bulgaria, I ask for a visit. A very friendly company!

The amps will be made in Austria - by myself. Of course with Chinese parts ;) :D maybe some from Austria also, Infinion produces also in Carinthia, but I don't think transistors...

Anyway, Beyma an Eighteensound are also a very nice a friendly Companies. Had till now only good experience. Different story with some Chinese one's.

The 18NLW9400 is of course a very good choise.

Infineon Villach at least did do something with power transistors, MOS, etc...
(I remember I had applied as Technical Marketing Engineer in Villach back in Q1 / 2004. The €€€ upside to my job in Vienna was too little so we couldn' t reach an agreement.)

So you are about to build an amp of chinese ebay-style Class D modules, right?
What's for power supply?

Infineon Villach at least did do something with power transistors, MOS, etc...
(I remember I had applied as Technical Marketing Engineer in Villach back in Q1 / 2004. The €€€ upside to my job in Vienna was too little so we couldn' t reach an agreement.)

That sounds interesting. I didn't know that power transistors were done here in Austria.

So you are about to build an amp of chinese ebay-style Class D modules, right?
What's for power supply?

Nonono. I meant, that the majority of BJT are manufactured in China - which doesn't mean, they are bad in general.

At the moment I am building a classic 3stage power amp. Beside that some tube amps are in development...

That sounds interesting. I didn't know that power transistors were done here in Austria.

Nonono. I meant, that the majority of BJT are manufactured in China - which doesn't mean, they are bad in general.

At the moment I am building a classic 3stage power amp. Beside that some tube amps are in development...

Depends on what "were done" means. At least they were marketed any maybe designed here.

"At the moment I am building a classic 3stage power amp. Beside that some tube amps are in development..."

"3 stage amp"? You mean you like class H?
(I 've heard there is a like new Camco D Power 2 in the swap meet section. Never inserted into any rack. Still under warranty. Pick up in or near Vienna...)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.