DMX lighting control question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know this forum is mainly about audio, but maybe someone can help a noob out... I actually have two questions:

1: Can I put more than one fixture on the same channel and with the same starting address? Like for instance, having four LED parcans on channel 1 with a starting address of 1 on all four of them?

2: I have read somewhere that at the last fixture on your daisy chain you should connect a 120ohm resistor on the output. Is this true?

Thank you!

1. Yes no problem. If you do this just know that you don't have individual control over each fixture, so for example you can't run a chase across these 4 fixtures they will always do the same exact thing.

2. Yes a DMX terminator is always a very good idea, solder a 120ohm resistor across pins 2 and 3 of a standard male XLR connector and plug it into the output of the last fixture in the chain.

Riaan

Please bear in mind there are some DMX fixtures with terminations jumpers.
On those You just have to flip a switch on the last one in the chain. Check the manual.

I've run installations without terminator and it works fine with a few fixtures and short cables. Say a truss with 4 pars for example.

Sometimes problems arise with ground loops and cheap fixtures.
If You are running DMX from a lappy and You lights play havoc, try first disconnecting the laptop PSU ground in order to determine it. If they work fine, get an insulated interface.

Check that none of them is in auto or music mode. You can't mix DMX with auto fixture programs since they use the same DMX connectors for master-slave signals.

Last edited:
Thank you!

That is great, because I would want about four of them right next to each other, doing the exact same thing.

I will be using an (analogue?) DMX controller because I just like the feel of that.

And maybe I'll build myself a terminator, just for fun!

Thanks again for the help!

Riaan

Analogue DMX controller ? DMX is a digital RS485 signal (cousin of RS232 but balanced)

There are only two kinds I know:

Lighting desk with real sliders and buttons. I believe this is what You mean
Computer interface / software based with Buttons and sliders on screen. (You need a mouse and / or Keyboard)
Well there is another kind called automatic. You program the DMX stream on it and it plays stand-alone forever. I built an AVR based DMX 4 Ch chaser which changes colors at a given speed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.