Fane's new website is live

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for the link Nigel. Lots of lovely loudspeakers to ogle over!

I see from the link that Fane are celebrating '60 Years of Sound' this year.

I've purchased several Fane 12" drivers over the years and they've never let me down.

My first serious speaker was an early Fane 122/10 mounted in a 5 cu ft cabinet, reflex tuned to the driver's resonant frequency of 40Hz - the bass was magnificent!

I'll take this opportunity to reminisce Nigel!

My mid 70s disco complement included four Fane POP 55 (60W rms) drivers in two 2x12 cabinets. High frequencies were supplemented by four Goodmans Hifax 750P horn drivers.

The additional two 2x12 cabinets contained full range Goodmans Audiom 12P-D drivers.

The cabinets were aspirated by two 120W Arbiter valve slave amps which greatly contributed to the sound quality - happy days!

P.S. Never got round to using W bins for reasons of transportability - we moved our gear in two Mini vans!

Yup, my cabs were also sealed. That's why they could take a pounding and still survive!

Was simply a case of sticking the drivers into the ready made, empty cabinets which were readily available back then. No regard was given to enclosure volume etc - the darned things just worked, and worked well (in the disco context)!

P.S. Fane POP 60s were 15"/60W rms drivers that could be used for any instrument or for PA purposes, and they worked up to 5kHz.

Was simply a case of sticking the drivers into the ready made, empty cabinets which were readily available back then. No regard was given to enclosure volume etc - the darned things just worked, and worked well (in the disco context)!

I did the same and they just worked.

I started off with a 4 by 12 inch cabinet but then found it wouldn't fit in the car ! So I sawed it down the middle and made two boxes. With castors on the bottom they were a dream to move around.

I used coiled guitar leads for speaker leads. They worked OK until tripped over one at a gig and it pulled out shorting out the amp.
Luckily the Maplin amp had a fuse on the output and that blew before the output transistors. A change of fuse and off I went again.

So I sawed it down the middle and made two boxes.
Uncanny! I did exactly the same thing before purchasing the commercial cabinets!

I used coiled guitar leads for speaker leads.
Naughty Nigel!

In the interests of safety we'd better say do not use instrument cables as loudspeaker cables!

P.S. Your drivers may have been Fane POP 50 (50W rms, Fres 75Hz, 8kHz).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.