Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Proposed plan for 200 person venue
Proposed plan for 200 person venue
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th June 2018, 11:54 PM   #11
jakesutcliffe is offline jakesutcliffe  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

It's funny you posted the orbit4's bob4, I'd already had these recommended by several people and I think this would be a great choice, primarily because a pair wouldn't set me back a horrendous amount.

Thanks again for your suggestions, this has been really helpful. I think I am probably going in even more blind than I initially though so I've been reevaluating the plan.

I think my dream of a perfect hifi PA was probably unrealistic and a bit ambitious considering my budget and expertise/experience (both limited). Having gone through the suggestions here alongside conversations with others in the past week, I think it would be better to try to get together a small system which I can build on over time. Hopefully it will still sound fairly good for the music we're playing

Current plan:

2x orbit 4's (1000)
Powered by: 2 used amps (have seen a fair number of QSC amps going on ebay, rmx2450 and 850 seem like a safe option? 300-400)

dbx driverack PA2 (340).

DIY G-sub, just one to start with. PD184 drivers. MDF, as it will sit in the venue most of the time, and would be the cheapest option (600-700 including drivers). Slightly overestimated the cost due to having to buy some extra tools I don't currently have

sub amp (300)

Regarding amps, the behringer EP4000 is an attractive price for the power, but I'm aware of the reputation they have in the pro sound world, do you think this would be a safe punt? Below 300 and could power the G-sub in bridge mode.

This would bring the total to 2500-3000, and could probably handle a 200-capacity venue at a stretch?

I'm still in the early planning stages, so would be very interested to hear thoughts on this setup.

[Chris: Yes I am in Sheffield! And no, i have no prior experience in woodworking but do have friends nearby who have built speakers before, and access to a tablesaw and carpentry expertise. I feel fairly confident in having a crack at a sub, I've been itching to build a speaker for a while so am going to take it on whether it's a good idea or not... we'll see how it goes!]
Old 14th July 2018, 07:25 PM   #12
atmo is offline atmo
diyAudio Member

Hi Jake,

How did you get on with your PA system design in the end?
Old 4th August 2018, 10:21 PM   #13
ViennaTom is offline ViennaTom
diyAudio Member

Hello, if it is installed sound, the weight of the subs does not matter. Why not diy-build a big (almost)-no-compromise-horn for a single 18" driver? A horn, that gives very high efficiency plus reasonable low end - so you need only one. Use a good driver. Including the wood you could get away with as low as 800 great or not so great british Pounds. PLUS: due to high efficiency you save amp power - you could maybe use a bridgeable amp that gives 1 x approx. 1400W, bridged into 8 Ohms.

Proposed plan for 200 person venueHide this!Advertise here!