Mics, where do I even begin?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I’m looking at the Sennheiser EW D1-ME3. What other mics should I consider? This is for auctioneering and I need something tough that will last and possibly have the system work with later mics if they discontinue the headset mic. I want a handsfree headset for sure. I would rather pay more up front but I don’t want to buy a Lamborghini Rolex when a Toyota g shock gets the job done reliably. Something that’s all function and not an over priced status style item. I originally was looking for a complete system but now am looking to research mics, speakers, and amps seperately.

Last edited:
Shure, Nady, Samson and Audio Technica all have comparable offerings at the same price point or better so there are still more options to review.
i'd look at systems with independent beltpack/transmitters and headset assemblies, the more reputable brands all seem to use Switchcraft TQ (tiny qg connectors) from headset to pack and are repairable giving you freedom to mix and match and to wire almost any headset or lavalier mic capsule you can find (provided you have soldering skills and can heatshink your assemblies)

powered speakers with built in mic pre's and line mixers are the new defacto standard in quick portable pa and some of the better brands give excellent sound quality and performance look at brands like JBL, QSC, EV, Yamaha and yes i would consider Mackie as suitable for your application so still a lot of research and choices to make!

You don't need recording studio quality for this just strong clear vocal reproduction so a Sennheiser XS series would do the trick, these are available with the same mic capsules as the other more expensive lines. Save some $ on the mic and spend the extra where it counts most.. with the speakers.

The Countryman E6 headset is the best one made. Sold by Shure. Be sure to get the version with the thick headset cord. If worried you can get a spare cord as that is the part that breaks.

Internet music vendors will sell you one compatable with most any wireless system.

The cheapest one that I know of with a metal belt pack is the Electrovoice R300 system.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.