Mackie FR1400.. Where do I start?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got this amp recently. As soon as i turned it on, I heard some crackling/buzzing in the transformer area and it blew the breaker on my power bar. Where should I start? My understanding is this is a clone of qsc rmx and behringer series amps as well. I am a newbie at this and hope to be walked through things to check look for with maybe an easy fix. Thanks

My money would be on a (or multiple) blown output transistors, causing a large current draw. Once checking that all the power capacitors are discharged, I'd try things like disconnecting the leads that run from the power supply module to the amp modules and try powering up again.

However, in trying again, I'd also recommend using a current limiting circuit on the power input. There are some threads about them in here, but basically, it is a modified power lead with a light fitting wired in series, such that you can put something like a 40 or 60W bulb in, which limits the amount of current the device can draw and effectively gives you a bit more diagnosis time and protects the device. If you turn it on and it glows brightly then there is likely something wrong downstream, if it flickers on then settles down to a dull glow (at least with an amp) then it is probably working normally.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.