2 x 500W into 8 Ohm amp suggestion?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got a DIY subwoofer that's currently being powered by a Alesis RA500 (bridged, providing a claimed 500W into 8Ohms).

I'm wanting to make a second sub, and would happily use another RA500, but it's discontinued. They go for enough (used) on eBay to make it worth looking at a new Behringer A500; though I think the A500 is pretty ugly, and I'd rather have the same type of amp driving both subs.

The Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP looks like an interesting choice to drive both (2 x 440W into 8Ohm claimed, plus the DSP), but I understand the fans are way too noisy for a home listening environment. I'm also assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that mass matters for an amp; an 8.8KG A500 must be better than a 3.1KG NU3000DSP... right?

Anyway; in the absence of a well-priced used Alesis RA500; does anyone know of other options; and/or a 2 x 500W into 8Ohm amp with no fans?

EDIT: Having said the above, and having looked a bit closer at the manuals; for equivalent purposes (for my use); the RA500 claims 500W RMS. The A500 is actually only 375W RMS, and the NU3000DSP is 2 x 440W Peak (so likely 2 x 300W RMS at best).

Last edited:

Attachments

• a-bricks 400W.jpg
    a-bricks 400W.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 172
A500 => class AB (big heatsinks) + toroidal transformer = heavy weight
NU3000 => class D (small heatsink, in fact just the case) + SMPS = light weight.

Yep - I understand the size/weight differences with AB vs D; I just don't know whether a big/heavy AB design is "better" than class D - but I suspect that's a subject likely to cause many an Internet argument!

Hypex Electronics B.V.

Hypex has complete plate amps including power supply.

http://www.a-bricks.com

Check out the small cute A-Bricks 400 W in a creditcard size.

I've seen the Hypex units before; quite expensive vs what's possible with a separate amp unfortunately.

The a-bricks look interesting. Probably underpowered for what I wanted, but any idea of pricing?

Measure your class AB bargain with an analog voltmeter on the speaker. Turn up until it sounds a little cramped, then back off. 500 W on 8 ohm = 63.2 VAC. If using a scope multiply peak to peak sine wave by .71
These old amps tend to fade gently into the retirement home. Expired rail caps cut the max output voltage, which one tends not to notice in the home. However at about 1/50 th of rated wattage they go silent.
These are not expensive to replace yourself, if you use the snap in variety. The new ones are smaller than the old ones too, which makes fitting them in possible in most cases.
I find the best bargains are heavy old class AB, because touring bands don't want the weight. Class D probably takes a lot of shielding (case + in-out filters) to keep the RF out of your LP pickup etc. Unpackaged boards like the hyper leave all that work up to you. The fan shutoff circuit is missing on the hyper, too. My CS800s is dead quiet when I'm not running it hard, in the home, due to the fan control. My ST120 is much noisier since the fans are required at all times due to the *****y heat sinks in it, plus a tendency for the idle bias current to run away.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.