Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

the "125dB Monster"
the "125dB Monster"
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th March 2018, 03:02 AM   #61
125dbmonster is offline 125dbmonster  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upfront View Post
Good news about the ultimate pre mate. Sexy bit of kit.
YEa, won't take much, will fix that at the Festival

Heard the best news,
Sam is almost definitely bringing a drum set to the festival and will hang about if he can, stage instruments so far are, a piano a keyboard and drums

Anthony is getting a few orders for the Supreme 500w Holton !!!!!!!!!!!! Lucky people they are.

Monday next is going to be a very big day
Old 13th March 2018, 11:16 AM   #62
soundbyte is offline soundbyte  Australia
diyAudio Member

Well well well... the people you find here.

Good to hear that hings are going well Matt.

Bit sad to hear the new toy is not working as expected.

You should make time to go and listen to Linc's new speakers, very impressive with so little tweaking done so far.

If you can find time you might like to come and listen to the new yellow drivers, nice.
Old 13th March 2018, 12:15 PM   #63
diyAudio Member

Hi Russell
Great you could make it Mate, thanks for posting, will have some time after this Festival

Yea have heard all glowing reports on Linc's new micro horn and bass combination, lush. The Corals (yellow) also have come with good reports, well done
Will make some time although Linc could even throw them in the ute, haha bring them along. Could certainly accommodate with 4 amp channels and a DSP !!!!!! Anyway, I'm sure in their room environment they are very special and really keen to have a drink at that stop in the Journey.

Have been really busy with the PA Power System, which is roughly 30Kwh of batteries and 3 seperate power systems. should be able to muster up 22 x 270w solar panels. Have cycled the batteries at least 3 times per pack and they have levelled out well, lots of capacity and ability to go to 90% depth of discharge, will certainly push the limits of what can be done

THe PA is almost ready, with roughly half of the thing in the lounge at the moment, minus 5 x active monitors and the mixing rack

Has been 6 months solid work go into this and 10 years play money. If we can pull it off will be a dream come true.

The only worry is the possibility of an evil ground loop on the single ended amplifier array although there is a fast work around and we are very fortunate to have Anthony Holton on site

Not that keen to pull the rack apart right now and get into every amp.

We might have a little hobby DIY run on the Pro Gear and get that U.P. going is there is an opportunity, it will be in the kit, with it's dedicated PC and interconnect set

Tweaking the horn set and finding it likes around 300w at idle and 500w to arc it up to ear bashing levels, with -20dB earmuffs so as expected insanely efficient all the way down to 24Hz and flat as a table the response
Won't need any EQ really, maybe just a little to smooth the JBL's, maybe. Running REW in any case as a basic check on site as a preliminary Test.
Old 13th March 2018, 12:17 PM   #64
diyAudio Member

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2337.JPG (344.7 KB, 95 views)
Old 13th March 2018, 01:31 PM   #65
Max Headroom is offline Max Headroom  Australia
diyAudio Member

Location: West Australia, near to the beach, natural ambient sounds mostly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 125dbmonster View Post
Picture of the Unity Horn is of something I want to build in future
I got a quick trade show listen to these recently - Danley - SM60F, unusually 'right'....mostly.
These - Danley - TH118 had particularly 'solid' low bottom end and sounded 'right' also.

Dan.
Old 13th March 2018, 03:38 PM   #66
Max Headroom is offline Max Headroom  Australia
diyAudio Member

Location: West Australia, near to the beach, natural ambient sounds mostly.
Hi again Matt, I see you are experienced in UPS/AC Regeneration.
I recommend trying the experiment of running at 55Hz +/- x% regenerated AC power.....think it through.
I have tried experiments of playback systems running 50Hz>55Hz>60Hz AC supply with interesting/beneficial/preferred results.
I recently missed/let go the opportunity to record using 55Hz supply frequency using my Kikusui PCR500L regenerator to supply production/recording.....there were other problems running up to showtime so we didn't get to do the ABC/sweep for supply frequency.
Post show rough mix playback using 50Hz>55Hz>60Hz production supply gave subtly different sounds with preference for around 55Hz........
Just sayin'.

Dan.

Last edited by Max Headroom; 13th March 2018 at 03:41 PM.
Old 14th March 2018, 10:11 AM   #67
Auracle is offline Auracle  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,
After some consideration, I too have to decided to jump from the SNA ship. (At this rate, only the loyal crew and the captain will be left.) Thought I had better go before I get banned for the second time. No matter how diplomatic your text, there's always someone that takes issue with it. Some threads of late show up the disciples as having Princess Syndrome.

Add to this, the blinding graphics and never-ending ads, and the amount of paracetomol required reaches its limits.

From what I read here, this is a place for doers, not arm-chair theorists. Let's hope I can learn a few things, and eventually build a few enjoyable items. Who knows, I may even make new friends along the way also.
Old 14th March 2018, 01:28 PM   #68
mickiboi007 is offline mickiboi007  Australia
diyAudio Member

the "125dB Monster"
HMS SNA is sinking. The good people are bailing leaving the rats at the helm. Welcome Auracle.
Old 14th March 2018, 07:53 PM   #69
Upfront is offline Upfront  Australia
diyAudio Member

Either way it's good to have most of the crew together again. There are a couple more we need to sway yet though.
Old 15th March 2018, 12:29 AM   #70
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auracle View Post
Hi Guys,
After some consideration, I too have to decided to jump from the SNA ship. <snip>
My dear Friend Sam, welcome Man great to see you here and chat on the phone the other day, will call everyone on Sunday with a confirmed address

And to all, going to be really thin on the ground until surfacing from the Festival.
On return will have a story of how things went and a lot of photos

To the CREW thank you in advance for your efforts, we have quite a job on and will take the better part of 2 days to get it all running how it should, including generatorless power supply.

Regards
Matt

the &quot;125dB Monster&quot;Hide this!Advertise here!