Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

the "125dB Monster"
the "125dB Monster"
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th June 2018, 06:34 AM   #251
Upfront is offline Upfront  Australia
diyAudio Member

Doesn't sound like anything a pair of side cutters can't fix Matt.
Old 7th June 2018, 07:40 AM   #252
125dbmonster is offline 125dbmonster  Australia
diyAudio Member

True, going to start with that, but to be frank, when you buy something

1, it should work, no ifs, buts or modifications
2, shouldn't need me to complete a thesis in how to cure ground loops, that cant be solved without hatcheting into my new interconnector set, with the side cutters.

3, shouldn't be the only piece of equipment that causes issues, chronic issues in an other wise solid set up that performed perfectly in the past

Should be fit for purpose, not fit for "some stuff that complies with a particular standard, everyone else seems to get it right

If designed to some wanky standard that only other wanky standard gear can work with
freeking let me know before hand, not after months of trying to find time to totally change all the inputs on my power amps

Waste loads of otherwise precious time, by all parties, not only mine

I am actually deeply angry and depressed about it and going to shoot it back as it isn't fit, or does it behave like my other DSP Systems, it doesn't work with ANY of my other source units or amplifiers, period W/O a shocking noise floor. It was a fair amount of coin for a fair thing but doesn't work

Gosh I have spent hundreds of dollars on new cables, connectors and to actually have a set of very expensive interconnectors laying around just shitts me. if it had of worked in the first instance things would have been sweet, 6 months later FFS still going

Sometimes this hobby can be a challenge, but now the rant is over I feel better
I'm going back to my old DSP and wait for something better to come along that has nothing to do with the AES Standards
Try Australian C Tick
FCC
TUV and a number of other Standards set out by Australian Consumer Law

mind everything would have been Ok if it had of actually worked the day it was connected, but no down the hole of grief and despair I went
Old 7th June 2018, 08:01 AM   #253
The Saint is offline The Saint  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 125dbmonster View Post
True, going to start with that, but to be frank, when you buy something

1, it should work, no ifs, buts or modifications
2, shouldn't need me to complete a thesis in how to cure ground loops, that cant be solved without hatcheting into my new interconnector set, with the side cutters.

3, shouldn't be the only piece of equipment that causes issues, chronic issues in an other wise solid set up that performed perfectly in the past

Should be fit for purpose, not fit for "some stuff that complies with a particular standard, everyone else seems to get it right

If designed to some wanky standard that only other wanky standard gear can work with
freeking let me know before hand, not after months of trying to find time to totally change all the inputs on my power amps

Waste loads of otherwise precious time, by all parties, not only mine

I am actually deeply angry and depressed about it and going to shoot it back as it isn't fit, or does it behave like my other DSP Systems, it doesn't work with ANY of my other source units or amplifiers, period W/O a shocking noise floor. It was a fair amount of coin for a fair thing but doesn't work

Gosh I have spent hundreds of dollars on new cables, connectors and to actually have a set of very expensive interconnectors laying around just shitts me. if it had of worked in the first instance things would have been sweet, 6 months later FFS still going

Sometimes this hobby can be a challenge, but now the rant is over I feel better
I'm going back to my old DSP and wait for something better to come along that has nothing to do with the AES Standards
Try Australian C Tick
FCC
TUV and a number of other Standards set out by Australian Consumer Law

mind everything would have been Ok if it had of actually worked the day it was connected, but no down the hole of grief and despair I went
Try That cable mod we talked about earlier today mate?

Cheers Anthony
Old 7th June 2018, 08:22 AM   #254
diyAudio Member

Hi Anthony
Is all good Mate

As it is meant to be the "hub" and "boss" of my speakers and amps in a semi Professional set up

the old " what if " really is in a spotlight

What if I took $10K from someone to have a mid sized system off grid arranged at some far off venue for a week where everyone was charged $500 to get in the gate and find that I have a problem related to this issue on site.

Otherwise if it was to be left at home, not really a worry

If I go chopping off pin 1 connections to make something work, my impression is that's where my problems actually start, not finish

I wish to publicly apologize for wasting every ones time and energy with this.

Very sorry, I hold a lot of regret over this.
Old 7th June 2018, 08:31 AM   #255
diyAudio Member

Don't apologise mate. Vent! The only way to get over it. Once you've vented you can move on. We have all been there. I have a pair of mono blocks that I've had for 15 odd years and I recon I've had them working for 2 years total. They've spent more that months in repair ( multiple repairs) and noe I can't buy the transformers for them any more. 3k well spent! Thank you Diyhifisuppy! Bastards. Most unhelpful bunch of bastards I've ever met. Appalling service once the item has been purchased.
Old 7th June 2018, 09:29 AM   #256
diyAudio Member

Geez what a bummer
Service I've had is second to none.

It is a sad day for me as I have been waiting for this product for years.
Old 7th June 2018, 09:34 AM   #257
diyAudio Member

Things will improve mate. On the upside, less time playing with DSP means more time on the new and improved house/sound lounge!
Old 7th June 2018, 10:42 AM   #258
diyAudio Member

When I get over this bump, the old miniDSP will come back, just have to make secure the phoenix connectors with some sort of strain relief on the rack and solidly mount the DSP

YEs and the house job is gaining traction, embroilment in paper at the moment, but there is light.
Old 7th June 2018, 11:46 AM   #259
oohms is offline oohms  Australia
diyAudio Member

I have found that when I connect anything unbalanced to a balanced XLR input, the 'normal' way of wiring it up introduces ground loops almost by design.

you need to send the incoming ground to minus (pin 3) and then connect a 10 ohm resistor between pin 1 (shield) and pin 3
Old 7th June 2018, 12:00 PM   #260
diyAudio Member

Hi Ooms

At the end of the day there is a dim vision of having a relatively uncompromising system that exhibits "compatibility" for each and every component.
When a stereo system like this one can have up to 10 individual amp channels, this complex rig doesn't need a fundamental problem.

Yes I understand that I can chop pin 1's insert caps and resistors, but this really doesn't help matters if there are 10 pairs of signal output interconnects alone, let alone the inputs which could have a mixture of 20 condenser and dynamic mics, via yet another input via the mixing console
Just too much to think about when time constraints come into play.

the "125dB Monster"Hide this!Advertise here!