Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

first go around with PA speaker build
first go around with PA speaker build
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2018, 01:49 AM   #11
wg_ski is offline wg_ski  United States
diyAudio Member

If the vents don't end up needing to be too long you might get away with four spaced around that midrange.
Old 10th March 2018, 03:27 PM   #12
Frequency hunter is offline Frequency hunter
diyAudio Member

At this point, I’m leaning towards the Kappa 15 Lf. At band practice tonight, I’ll do another calculation of the cabinet interior volume. If somebody could help me just figuring out what I need for Vents I would appreciate it. As of right now, I don’t have a Windows computer. So my limitations of software would be major hindrance on me figuring this out.

I converted to Mac OS X a couple years ago.
Old 12th March 2018, 02:16 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Ok, so a final calculation puts me at 4.2 cu. ft. Not subtracting for the drivers... i was hoping for a bit more. So say i do the kappa15lf with that volume, will this work?
Old 12th March 2018, 02:27 AM   #14
conanski is offline conanski  Canada
diyAudio Member

Yes that will work fine, did you try to download WinISD? These Eminence drivers are all preloaded.

I have attached a screenshot of these drivers modeled with it bases on your box volumes and porting that I think is optimized for the Kappa15lf, the difference in low freq performance between these is not subtle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15s.jpg (208.0 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by conanski; 12th March 2018 at 02:56 AM.
Old 12th March 2018, 04:14 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

No I haven’t downloaded that as of yet. I need to get a windows laptop for some of these applications. I’ve been running Mac for a couple of years. And yes, those curves aren’t even close!! What were the specs of the venting that these were modeled at?
Old 12th March 2018, 10:46 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

It was two 4.5" round ports 6.1" deep, if you want to convert that to a slot port let me know how much room you have to work with. When using the boxes fullrange a high pass filter is recommended to protect the driver below tuning, use a BW24 at 38hz.
Old 12th March 2018, 11:56 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

is there a way to calculate it as triangular vents? say, triangular vents in the front baffle around the Lf driver. I'm sure I could fit 3x3 triangular vents. or worst case, if its really needed, rip new front baffles. and ill make a note of the high pass.
Old 13th March 2018, 02:37 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Square ports would have to be 4" per side for the same tuning and port air velocity, cut those diagonally and you have triangles but now you need 4 ports.
Old 13th March 2018, 10:01 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

That will work no problem. As wg_ski stated, i can put them around the mid driver. As far as the shpe of the ports, is it a safe practice to round over the edge of the vents. Say with a 1-8” round over bit? Or will that change the pressure pulse at the port? Or does it not matter....
Old 13th March 2018, 02:02 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Roundover is no problem.. it is common actually.

first go around with PA speaker buildHide this!Advertise here!