Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

yamaha emx st860 noise in eq
yamaha emx st860 noise in eq
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th February 2018, 04:26 PM   #1
nibo is offline nibo  Kenya
diyAudio Member

Post yamaha emx st860 noise in eq

need help one of the channels makes a kinda screeching noise when i get to turn up either of the 3 eq knobs the volume works well but any time i try adjust the eqs from 0 level a noise pops up
Old 9th February 2018, 09:20 AM   #2
dotneck335 is offline dotneck335  United States
diyAudio Member

I suggest you post a schematic if you want help troubleshooting.
Old 9th February 2018, 11:21 AM   #3
turk 182 is offline turk 182  Canada
diyAudio Member

are you experiencing feedback? what are your sources? any microphones involved?

if this is happening with no mic's then yes it would indicate an internal problem.
Old 9th February 2018, 02:00 PM   #4
nibo is offline nibo  Kenya
diyAudio Member

yes there is no source...
Old 10th February 2018, 10:30 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

so this happens with no input to that channel?
if so i would look for loss of ground from bad/cracked solder joints.
Old 11th February 2018, 10:53 AM   #6
ICG is offline ICG  Germany
diyAudio Member

That could be a defect, it is also possible you are simply overdriving the EQ or SFX by having the signal level too high. They sound horrible if that happens since they are digital. Try if it gets better if you lower the gain (level labelled on the channels) but increase the master instead.
Old 11th February 2018, 01:46 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

how does one get "signal level too high" with nothing plugged in to that channel?
Old 11th February 2018, 03:34 PM   #8
ICG is offline ICG  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk 182 View Post
how does one get "signal level too high" with nothing plugged in to that channel?
The EMX ST860 got a lot of electronics in it with long signal paths and there are clock rate noise and artifacts, some very high frequency. Not all of it is audible but can cause strange effects with the digital parts of the amp, especally if the effects part is used on said channel. That is even more possible if the input is open. I'd suggest to switch the FX off on that channel and connect something without it giving a signal or better: shorting the input (that can easily be done with a patch cable in the amp channel and connecting the 2 poles of the jack at the free end). The test of the gain influence is mainly to locate at which step of the path it happens. All that is assumed the channel works fine otherwise and no other channels are showing the same behaviour.

Since it happens at all 3 potentiometers and all only into the +, I assume these can be excluded. Most likely other error sources are the OPs x01 (101, 201 etc, depending on which ch it is), x02, x03 and the electrolyte capacitors around them. These are the OPs in the same order for decoupling/buffering the input from the EQ-influence, preamp and buffer for effect. One OP IC consists of two amps, that means each of these ICs is used for two channels but they can break 'separately'.

I got the feeling I forgot something but I can't concentrate anymore for error analytics, sorry.

The schematics are free download somewhere, google it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yamaha EMX860st input.jpg (104.6 KB, 15 views)

yamaha emx st860 noise in eqHide this!Advertise here!