Distortion sound at all volumes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone, my first post on this forum so hopefully this is in the right department.

I got a PROEL SMART12MA powered speaker that gives some kind of distortion sound at all volumes.
I opened the speaker and connected the amp to another speaker and same distortion sound appears so I have ruled out that the woofer or tweeter driver is damaged. I also noticed that the original transformer may have been replaced. Looking at the fitting bracket (photo attached) I suspect a toroidal transformer was fitted at factory but somebody have installed 2 smaller linear transformers with the following specs, the first one: 110V-220V 60/50Hz 17-0-17V 2A and the other one 110V-220V 60/50Hz 18-0-18V 2A.
Now I am not sure if this is what causing the distortion sound but if I where to replace it, would a transformer like this one be suitable ? DAC - 24-0-24V X 1, 18-0-18V X 1 - Toroidal Transformer - 434VA
The thing is that there are 2 secondary wiring needed, the circuit board have 2 sides of it where it needs to be connected, one says HI AC IN and the other one LOW AC IN, How much hi and low is supposed to be I am not sure but I have written to manufacturer and hope they will reply.
Any guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks

Rick

Attachments

• 20180107_103608~01.jpg
    20180107_103608~01.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 92
Thanks for your reply, after a lot of search on the net I may found the wiring diagram for the MA160 amp with the original power handling of the transformer and it looks quite different. (attached)
Its seems I need to find a 20-0-20 VAC, 33-0-33 VAC output transformer.

Attachments

• Proel.JPG
    Proel.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 72
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.