Powered PA Set-up...Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm needing some advice please..

I'm running my band into:

Mixer
Then into
DBX PA2 driverack
Then into
(All 1,000 watt powered speakers w/built in crossovers)

1-sub
2- 15's w/horns
2-12's w/horns

Having a issue getting all speakers and horns working...

sub works

15's and horns work

12's Dont but horns do..

Sorry about the short description..

Running band into

Unpowered mixer to stereo outs

Into

DbxPA2 driverack fullrange preset out to powered PA

Out the low left and right outputs of driverack going to mackie 1801subs

Out the Mid outputs on the back of driverack into EV elx15p's

Out the high outputs of the driverack going to EV elx12p's..

Everything works but the 12's.....the horns with 15's and 12's work but no 12's

2-subs
4-mains w/4 horns..all horns work but not the 12's

Just what I figured and that is not going to work. I don't understand why you would want both 12 and 15 mains but if you must....
Remove the driverack from the signal chain completely.
Connect main out of mixer to inputs of Mackie subs.
Connect High Pass outputs of Mackie subs to ELX15p inputs.
Connect Link Output of ELX15p to ELX12ps.

Thanks for the response.

I figured that being I was running a bass,guitar,and drums through PA that it would be better to have 15's and 12's for mains to handle all of that to give more of a full sound..

The Dbx unit caught my eye for compression,anti-feedback,etc.

I really appreciate any response/experience ya'll have.
Its been really tough fighting this stuff with limited knowledge.

I figured that being I was running a bass,guitar,and drums through PA that it would be better to have 15's and 12's for mains to handle all of that to give more of a full sound..
No, I can see where you are going with that but the reality is you are creating more problems than you are solving especially if the speakers are all stacked up and pointing in the same direction. With modern PA equipment less really is more, so I'd suggest just using the 15's and subs and only add the 12's when you need to cover a larger area.

The Dbx unit caught my eye for compression,anti-feedback,etc.
These things can be useful.. I have one for my larger passive speaker systems but I never use it with my active speakers and with proper setup techniques feedback is seldom an issue. My active speakers include the newer EV EKX and ZLX lines as well as some of those Mackie SRM subs and the Yamaha DXR series. These PA speakers include presets for monitor applications that essentially rolls off the upper and lower response and that is all that is needed most times to get very useful output for your typical 4 or 5 piece band.

The Big problem with the DRPA series is that they have some less than obvious routing quirks and limitations and despite the fact that the configuration wizard is advertised as a setup aid I find it vastly over complicates simple tasks. If you happened to own passive speakers and amplifiers from the Harmon family setup goes much smoother and you can reap significant benefits from the processor, but modern powered speakers generally need very little of this external processing because they already have much of it built-in.
That is less of the case with the powered speakers you have so the processor can be more useful for you, but you will have to provide details on the exact setup configuration you have established inside the unit and then take some suggestions on changes to be made to that.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.