Looking for schematic for a phantom powered 2 channel mixing stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I'm looking for a schematic for a simple phantom powered 2 channel mixing stage for microphone level signals without any extras like eq or the like.

Purpose is to root two input signals to one input of my zoom r16 recorder.

I have to do some live recording with more than 8 instruments, but some of them are not that important and/or not played at the same time, so I thought I could mix them down to one recording track.

Would be great if the circuit runs on phantom power since the zoom has 2 channels that provide it.

I'll appreciate any ides, the simpler the solution, the better

Yours
Rob

is active a must?
if not then a passive mixer could do, on the real cheap i've used a "Y" to connect two mics to one input but those sources didn't need individual eq so simply summing them to one input worked.
phantom power has a limited amount of current to supply active devices.

Hello turk 182,
thank you for your thoughts. I'm not sure whether active is a must, to be true.

Maybe I should explain the exact issue:
I got a standard dynacord 16 channel live mixer with insert jacks on each channel. That's where I want to take the signal from for recording. And I got a 8 channel zoom r16 recorder. So if I had only 8 instruments to record, everything would be fine (except the special non circuit breaking patch cables I have to solder ...).

Now my problem is, that some of the musicians play several instruments, but only one per song. Those instruments go into seperate channels of the live mixer and this way I'm ending up with more than 8 channels. But since only one of those instruments is played during one song, I could easily record all instruments of one musician to one track of the recorder.

That's why I was thinking about simple mixing stages. I'm not really sure whether I would get a lot of unwanted talkover between the channels by using a Y-cable. Maybe something passive with resistors could work, but there would be a significant loss of gain when the resistors have hight enough values to avoid talkover to the other channels. That's why I considered it best to have a small active circuit for the mixing stage so that no talkover can take place.

Yours
Rob

not sure of the exact model of mixer you have and whether or not all the AUX mixes you have at your disposal are being used,but for what you want to do i would use an aux to sum the inputs of interest to the Zoom. that track should only contain the "one" instrument per song short of a conflict where two are used at the same time and ability to mix down individually needs to be retained.

many newer consoles have direct outs per channel that would work via passive summing as that "out" is usually buffered and as long as the number of sums is not excessive.

Hi,
here's the complete list of instruments, mixing channels and recording tracks needed:
3 channels / 3 tracks percussion (Cajon, Djembe, mono Overhead)
1 channel / 1 track acoustic bass
1 channel / 1 track acoustic guitar
1 channel / 1 track lead vocals
makes 6 tracks so far. In addition:
2 channels / 1 track violin / reed organ (played alternately by 1 musician)
2 channels / 1 track backing vocals (not that important, can go to 1 track)

So you can see I'd need 2 AUX mixes or 2 sub groups, or 2 simpe 2 channel mixing devices, preferably passive or phantom powered.

Rob

ok i see
a quick look at the manual for the Dynacord CMS 1600 reveals something about the mixer i was not aware of.
how much do you know about the Cubebase LE6 interface? i don't know if this feature could be a potential solution but an quick look seems to point to that possibility and it only requires a single USB connection from the mixer to the Zoom.

Last edited:
Hi turk 182,

I'm not sure whether I completely understand your idea. Can you point me to the chapter or page of the Dynacord manual where I may find the needed information?

I think I remember there might be some USB connector at the rear of the mixer, but I can't find anything about the interface in the manual ....

Yours
Rob

ok, I'll have to look whether there is an usb slot somewhere on the mixer. Strangely there is some information on some data sheets about "4 channel recording output via usb", but it isn't mentioned anywhere in the manual.
Still I can't see how this could eventually solve my problem, even if the zoom is capable of reading the usb output of the mixer, of which I'm not sure.
So maybe I can get 4 of the mixers channels via digital/usb output, but still there is no possibility to group some channels, or am I wrong?

Yours
Rob

it appears that in digital form you can assign independent channels to a buss or group.
as to what is possible in the digital domain with this console i frankly can't say but now that i know it exists i myself am curious as to what is possible.
i would attempt to contact the company or your local retailer/distributor to see if they can provide you with more info.
there may be user group sites on the net that could help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.