Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

i'd like to build my own simple mixer, but i don't know where to start!
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th September 2017, 01:34 PM   #11
aae is offline aae  United States
diyAudio Member

FYI, i have a xenyx 502 this would be replacing...

i thought this was DIYaudio.com not gobuyyouraudio.com
Old 14th September 2017, 02:36 PM   #12
jazbo8 is offline jazbo8
diyAudio Moderator

6 channel mini mixer
Old 14th September 2017, 03:11 PM   #13
indianajo is offline indianajo  United States
diyAudio Member

PC microphones your amazon find is emulating, the port has some gain. So you would need an op amp or transistor circuit to provide maybe 50 to 1x gain for that input. The others you could run straight into 10 k resistors for each. The mike input gain element goes to its own 10 k resistor. Then a final gain element, maybe 0.2 to 2x then out to the coupler cap.
As long as you don't mind walking around the room all the time to set input levels, you don't need input pot attenuators on the line level inputs. Personally, I change gain on different radio stations depending on how compressed the commercials are (annoyingly loud).
Use input caps for the inputs, some cell phones & pc's put dC out the port. Or a mistake inside can put DC on the port and blow up your $600 cell phone.
My point on Behringer, you don't want to buy a broken one on internet. They work for a while when new, but there is no fun in that except maybe the recording live sound process. Same with nu-mark. Pots are generally unavailable, and surface mount components makes repairing one a $700 hurdle to start out jumping over. Used mixers usually have 1 bad pots or 2. bad electrolytic caps, or 3 missing wall transformer. My RA88a just sounded bad.
As far as buying an op amp board off e-bay, there are packaging issues you need to work through before you start etching your own boards. I don't like etching boards, creates haz waste that the only legal way I know to dispose of is $500 a 55 gallon barrel + $10 a month barrel rental. (Safety Klean) The main problem in my RA88a was stupid packaging design. Hum caused by poor AC parts location, stupid grounding scheme, cheapo PS design. Packaging also allowed the unit to amplify CB radio & police/fire band, instead of supressing those. Box your bought board up and see if you like it, then improve it, then maybe do your own custom board (which last step I skipped). Instead of etching boards I hand wire power amp boards because everything available as a kit is a speaker toaster, if you make a mistake like tripping over the speaker wire.

Last edited by indianajo; 14th September 2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old 15th September 2017, 02:34 PM   #14
troystg is offline troystg  United States
diyAudio Member

I bought this just to put in the garage. Can't beat the price...

MCM Custom Audio Eight Input Mono Mixer Preamplifier - with Chime | MLX-081 (MLX081) | MCM Custom Audio
Old 15th September 2017, 02:37 PM   #15
troystg is offline troystg  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aae View Post
FYI, i have a xenyx 502 this would be replacing...

i thought this was DIYaudio.com not gobuyyouraudio.com
Why re-invent the wheel when it cost you more? Unless you can build a better wheel or the same wheel cheaper why waste the time? Spend that time on something more complex or expensive.

I LOVE building stuff.. But the older I get the less "play time" I have so small cheap items are better left for off the shelf.
Old 15th September 2017, 02:39 PM   #16
aae is offline aae  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troystg View Post
Why re-invent the wheel when it cost you more? Unless you can build a better wheel or the same wheel cheaper why waste the time? Spend that time on something more complex or expensive.

I LOVE building stuff.. But the older I get the less "play time" I have so small cheap items are better left for off the shelf.
but i can't find a device that does everything i'm asking for here....

i'm looking for a simple mixer, yes, but i want it to have a mic splitter integrated into a single package, with 1/8" TRRS connections...
Old 15th September 2017, 11:44 PM   #17
MAAC0 is offline MAAC0  Portugal
diyAudio Member

More Ideas:

High Quality Sound Mixer

i'd like to build my own simple mixer, but i don't know where to start!Hide this!Advertise here!