Anyone interested in a plasticab bulk buy?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been kicking around an idea for importing a container load of pretty decent looking cabinets from China. I have a buddy that does some import/export trade and I've been looking to stuff my own PA cabinets for a while and decided to take a peek overseas to see what's available. Attached is a set of images of a cabinet that looks eerily similar to a few famous name cabinets. I'm awaiting confirmation of some samples to do some testing and measurements with. Worst case I end up with a pair of cheap cabinets to play with, but if they turn out to be decent, would be a pretty good buy based on shipping costs. I live in a container port city. My biggest fear is they are cheap polypropylene 'greasy plastic' instead of a more rigid material. Polypropylene is tough but super flexible so I wouldn't imagine the cabinets would sound good at all, very resonant and drum-my.

Attachments

• PA15-1.JPG
    PA15-1.JPG
    215.7 KB · Views: 159
  • PA15-2.JPG
    PA15-2.JPG
    159.7 KB · Views: 160
  • PA15-3.JPG
    PA15-3.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 155
  • PA15-4.jpg
    PA15-4.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 154
  • PA15-5.jpg
    PA15-5.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 154
Interesting idea. The design seems pretty good. With a well designed laser cut grille and backplate they can probably be made to look as neat as a professional brand.

Any particular reason why the 15" though? I would have thought for a bulk buy a 12" would have much more appeal. 15" may have a slight edge when run as a standalone enclosure, but on balance the portability of a 12 and their enhanced suitability for use with external subwoofers makes them the more obvious all-rounder choice for plastic cabs imo.

Also, with cheap Chinese enclosures, the larger you go the more you're introducing risks of sub-par performance. Simple physics of a larger surface area introducing more opportunity for vibration under high pressure. You would think they would increase the stability of the enclosures in larger sizes, but they will be cost cutting wherever they can get away with it.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.