Best 3" hi-fi high efficiency full range driver for line array P.A.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys. I have prototyped a 6x 3" unit line array p.a. crossed to a 12" sub @ around 200. All issues are completely worked out, all I need now is some options for the 3" drivers. Going to use 8 of them in the final version, so they can't be too "spendy". Given I want hi fidelity as well as high spl, what are some good current options? I have it all working now with low efficiency drivers, but I will need to crank it on stage. Don't want to use the B word but that L1 thing is what I need. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
P-Audio SN3-30N 30W 3" Loudspeaker Driver

The best high efficiency 3" full range that I know of. I'm not sure what the deal is with Blue-Aran not selling them on their website but you could maybe e-mail them and ask.

If you would consider a couple of db less efficient but still very serviceable full range 2.5" driver the Sica 2,5 H 0.8 SL is an excellent option at about 14 Euros.

https://www.jukebox-revival.eu/staging/sica-2-5-h-0-8-sl-2-5-30w-studio-monitor-speaker-8-ohm.html

They're designed as studio monitor speakers and they sound like it in my experience. I've trialled the 3FE25 also and there's no comparison with the Sica, but like I said it's a couple of dB less efficient if that's an issue.

Edit: The Beyma driver looks fairly peaky on their response plots. It's 91dB in places but it dips to 85dB around 1kHz. That's going to be noticeable imo.
Edit2: Oops I was looking at the plots for the neo version which measures totally different from the ferrite version despite the same name! Plot looks good.

Last edited:
I thought the be all, end all (almost) inexpensive driver of this size is the venarable Vifa/Peerless TC9FD18-08 at ~13/each. Not as efficient as the Beyma/Faital Pros which are pro audio drivers but not as bad as some of the Fostex and other wide banders. All the reviews/measurements show low distortion across its range and plenty of subjective reviews saying its a hard one to beat for mid clarity at any price.

Almost 500 posts on it here: Vifa TC9FD18-08 best bang for the buck

Dips to 82-84dB through much of the range though which is a huge knock to efficiency, 6dB-8dB down on the PA drivers! The only way that's going to do the job is if you load 16 of them, imo. The Sica has the same issue, but being as they're tiny (66mm) you could fit 16 of them in a compact box.

With any of these drivers you could split them into two boxes of 8 drivers each and mount them on top of one another, if you could find a convenient way to join them together. That, or a V shaped baffle.

With 8 of the Peerless driver you could expect a max peak SPL (averaged)of about 116dB for 8 drivers, or 122dB for 16 which I suspect is more what the OP is looking for. With the Sica about 117dB for 8 or 123 for 16.

8 of the Beyma or Faital will reach around 123dB with 8 drivers.

Numbers may be a little off but it's in that ballpark.

I am currently running 6 drivers I reaped from an relately inexpensive soundbar and I did an outside gig, played left hand keyboard bass through them and a 12" pa speaker crossed for a sub, it was pretty dang nice after eq, given where these came from, they are probably not efficient at all. All I know is 20w 3" stamped JS? full range rubber surround and there were 6 of them crossed to 2 4" "woofers" I pulled them out put them in very small enclosures (cups) fiber filled them up in a vertically, eq'ed series paralled to 6 ohms and my audience of musicians were flabbergasted ☺������ But I know they will blow eventually, therefore the need for good driver suggestions☺

My 2c worth. Likely all it's worth

The social circles I interact with and my own experience having had some Fatial Pro drivers (5 inch) are they are excellent performance for the outlay. Heard good things about the 3 inchers but unfortunately no personal experience just subjective opinion. You are correct in the presumption of your current drivers will soil their nappies sooner than later in pro use. Fun to watch though. Best with the voice coils melting and the cones on fire. 8 would be the absolute minimum for any mini array. Go 16 if at all possibe.

Last edited:
Does anyone else have more options for me? I would hate to choose the wrong driver although I seriously doubt that any of the drivers suggested would not be better than the ones I "reaped" surely they could not be anything great from that soundbar judging from its cheap construction. ???

Report:

Tried my prototype crappy driver 6x3" unit with my trio and though it did make it through the 4 hour gig
It definitely showed signs of compression and moderate distortion as we began to get louder. Still, I am shocked as this thing was no more than 6 3" 4 ohm drivers reaped from a tv soundbar, put literally into stryrofoam cups and taped together with gorrilla tape and (series paralled to six ohms) worked at all given that it took the place of a an expensive early Mackie 12" Pa speaker.....

Sooooooo.... I did order 6 of the afformentioned Faital drivers (also 4 ohms) plus 6 pvc couplings of the correct diameter (yes I tested them fit, turned out to be the gray 2 1/2" electrical conduit, the color also an unexpected benefit ) to bolt together six seperate little horizontal "pipes" plus caps that almost fit inside, whichs means I can also experiment with the bose articulation trick, slightly skewing them if I like.

The caps are a few inches long can be slid inward and out which will allow me to vary the volume of the enclosure and either port or seal. I have worked that out the T.S numbers from Faital using Winisd.

I will put a threaded rod though them all, adapt to speaker stand. Anyone see and holes? Do I need more than 6? The Faital units have to be at least 5db more efficient than the crappy ones from the soundbar that nearly worked, the math should work huh?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.