Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Smallish 30Hz PA
Smallish 30Hz PA
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th July 2017, 11:18 PM   #11
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

dual 12 40hz PPSL_zpsbgevcy7v.png Photo by dkleitsch | Photobucket
Old 14th July 2017, 01:38 AM   #12
wg_ski is offline wg_ski  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djk View Post
With dual 12s in a PPSL you can get about 101.5dB/2.83V/1M with the Dayton 295-120 woofers (about $100 each).

F3=40hz in a 4th order design, F3=27hz in a 6th order design.
295-120 is NLA, unfortunately. Actually a nice driver if you didn't have a ton of power and still wanted bass. It was ridiculously easy, however, to get them smelling kinda funny - didn't take more than 200 watts apiece to do it.
Old 14th July 2017, 01:30 PM   #13
Zwiller is offline Zwiller  United States
diyAudio Member

@ conanski: Yes, I suppose we are own worst critics... First gig she did (we got a phone call to help as other guy was a no show) was last minute with one small box and no complaints for lack of 30Hz. LOL The Behringer VQ1500 would probably suffice. So I find out her next gig might be outdoors.... Haha.

@djk: Thanks. Any thoughts on Klipsch gear? Maybe I;m just freaking out that someone has this stuff near me. Never happens...

@wg_ski: Thanks, I thought these were EOL,
Old 14th July 2017, 05:35 PM   #14
chris661 is offline chris661  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I expect the Tiny15 loaded with a decent driver would happily take on the Klipsch subs you've mentioned. Just buying the subs is a lot less work, though, so it depends on your priorities.

PM me if you'd like me to try some music through the subs and I'll get a recording. YouTube links will do just fine so long as the bass is in the recording.

Chris
Old 14th July 2017, 06:32 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

As fate would have it I happened to see a demo VQ1800 at Sweetwater while digging for specs. $359 shipped. I pulled the trigger. Kinda cool, active matched system all plug and play ready for ipod/PC. Curious if the cable I got will work: headphone to xlr. Pseudo balanced. Really wish the sub had the multi input jacks. Seems like nowadays everything is pretty flexible but I remember how many headaches I had with mixing unbalanced and balanced gear in the past. Least we have system. Running the KS involves alot of switching gear out of the HT.

Thanks for the offer! I need to consult the mixtress for examples but I recall the name of one the artists she spins. I really do not care for this stuff but I saw it for my own eyes (and didn't really believe her) that the place went nuts for what she spins. KYLE - iSpy (feat. Lil Yachty) [Official Music Video] - YouTube
Old 14th July 2017, 09:07 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Sounds like you're all sorted. I'll give the music a try sometime.

Running it through Audacity, it looks like the bass drops to around 34Hz in places, but is much stronger at 38Hz. Looks like the main kick is more like 70Hz.

Looks like the 15"s would cover most of it, but getting the last few Hz would need something bigger.
If you come back to DIYing something, I think you'd find the 15"s a lot of fun, and I'd be happy to share build notes.

Chris
Old 17th July 2017, 03:29 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I have Audacity and need to learn the higher functions. I didn't realize it did half of what you are doing with it.

Proof is in the pudding... It's not until we gig out will we know how this sub will perform. Spec wise it's -10db @ 40Hz max 124db. We'll see about that... I'm not looking to measure it, but just to find out if it does the job. Pretty convinced the Tiny 15 will trounce it in real life. I like having options. Thinking small gigs: active sub, medium gig where 2 active's would be used: Tiny15, large gig Keystone. HAppy I got the sub covered, now it's onto DJ PC and software, and small light rig.
Old 17th July 2017, 04:09 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

If you like, shoot me a PM and I'll go over some Audacity functions with you.

Chris
Old 17th July 2017, 04:21 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

PM sent
Old 18th July 2017, 06:56 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

HAHA. This new sub is little less portable than predicted. Just had to move it into the basement and it is just shy of needing a handtruck and just barely a one man job. Simple for two people and even the wife/daughter can move it with me tho. Or maybe I'm just getting old... LOL

Smallish 30Hz PAHide this!Advertise here!