Decent tops for custom PA build (12 x Othorn's, 6 x ES15-BPH low/mids)? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th June 2017, 09:28 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Decent tops for custom PA build (12 x Othorn's, 6 x ES15-BPH low/mids)?

Hey folks

We are trying to decide on tops for our diy PA project, so gathering as many thoughts as possible. Here are the specs....

- 12 x Othorn subs, running 21" B&C drivers
- 6 x ES15-BPH low/mid cabs, running Fane or PD
- Everything driven by Powersoft K20 amps

The system will be primarily used for outdoor festivals, including a mixture of djs and live acts, ranging from crowds of between 1000 - 4000 people.

We are considering the Nexo PS15-R2 speakers, after the glowing reports of their performance, though we may run just short of money (they cost around 4k each where I live).

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Have a great day!

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by fractalcone; 20th June 2017 at 01:28 PM.
Old 19th June 2017, 08:35 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Looks like you want some kind of ground-stacked point-source thing.
I refer to it a lot, but take a look at what the Nexo Alpha system does.

The PS15s won't cover 4000 people. A pile of Alpha (and I mean a big pile) will. I'd take some inspiration from the mid-high cabinet.

Chris
Old 20th June 2017, 01:30 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Chris

Yeah, I figured as much once I dug into them a bit more, was a suggestion from a sound tech friend from a club night he engineered.

I'm at a loss to find anything current in the long-throw, horn-loaded department (some of the new Danley designs look nice though). Did line-arrays simply kill point-source manufacturing?
Old 20th June 2017, 09:31 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

They pretty much did, by the looks of it.

Danley do point sources, as do KV2. Not sure there's many others around. Maybe some old EAW or Community. You're going to need a few of them, though.

Do you want to DIY or buy some?

If you're buying, getting the quantity you need (I'd go for something like 6/side) might be tricky.
For DIYing, there's plenty of options.

Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!